Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.  (Read 2676300 times)

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Shouldn't we all?
« Reply #53560 on: September 30, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
Mornin'
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53561 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
I'd say that objectively privileged is closer to the truth than relatively privileged, and I don't dispute that that has a lot to do with it. 

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I ask the question "why" too much.  I have a sense of what I think is moral and what is not, but I have difficulty answering the question "why" without making reference to religion, which I recognize as a point of reference that is not shared by all (or in this thread probably not even most) parties to the discussion.  Which is why I think it's best for me not to talk about my opinions on such matters.

But let me take a crack at the questions you've suggested and see how long I can talk about them.  So for question 1, who exactly is needy?  Are there two categories of people (needy, not needy) or many?  What exactly does it mean to help someone?

I appreciate your efforts here (and I know it's not easy for you) and yet I don't have the time or energy to talk about this right now.  I have broad moral principles and deal with the specifics on a case-by-case basis.  For instance, I think it's very important to help the needy.  It's what makes us good, and it makes our world more fair.*  But I think who is needy and what constitutes help and how much this goal should be prioritized depends on the specific situation.

*There are also practical reasons to help the needy that might be sufficient absent this moral imperative, but that's neither here nor there.

Jorge!  I've missed you!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53562 on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
Mornin'

Hope it's a good one!

<----feeling anxious, but trying to have a good morning
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53563 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
Yeah, it's good so far. Got up early and rode the bike to work. The end of the month is supposed to be our busiest day, but I got most of my stuff out of the way earlier. Sorry y'all are struggling.

Ditto, Miss P, although I have been around. Just not posting much.

Someone convince me not to get this + a cheap 8 GB SD card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3402958&CatId=2761

Notes:
I currently have an old 6 GB Zen Micro with an impressilvely reliable hard drive, but it only puts sound out of one channel on the headphone jack. I don't use it that often.

The computer that has most of my music on it is busted and needs to be fixed with a soldering gun.
This was my country

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #53564 on: September 30, 2008, 11:58:53 AM »
Yeah, it's good so far. Got up early and rode the bike to work. The end of the month is supposed to be our busiest day, but I got most of my stuff out of the way earlier. Sorry y'all are struggling.

Ditto, Miss P, although I have been around. Just not posting much.

Someone convince me not to get this + a cheap 8 GB SD card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3402958&CatId=2761

Notes:
I currently have an old 6 GB Zen Micro with an impressilvely reliable hard drive, but it only puts sound out of one channel on the headphone jack. I don't use it that often.

The computer that has most of my music on it is busted and needs to be fixed with a soldering gun.

2g is pretty small, I have 2 - 2g Ipods that I have relegated to decoys that I leave out should someone break in and takes those instead of searching for my other 7 ipods of varying G's. Have you thought about an Ipod? They are selling out the 3rd Generation Nano 4/8 gigs becuase the 4th genration ones are out, so you can get a good deal on one of those. But unless your music collection is really small I would spend the extra money to get at least an 8G built in swaping Sds cgets onld on the flay and they are easy to loose, otherwise your likley to want to buy anouther one sooner rather thn later, and end up sepenind as much on 2 as you owuld on one. I have heard good things about the new Zunes they realsed a few weeks ago. But I'm so used to Ipods/Itunes now that I won't be swithing.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53565 on: September 30, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
I do not feel equipped to comment on the tech beeswax.

Good luck tonight when you battle Piggyteam!

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53566 on: September 30, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
Well, I am planning to get a single 8 GB SD card (real cheap on ebay), like I said. I wouldn't be swapping it out. I don't plan on putting my entire collection on there.

Edit: I've had my 6 GB zen for ~3 years, I am not really worried about wanting to switch real fast. I think I will to have some reason to buy it, though. I think I'll just fix my laptop and then think about it.

Thanks P! It has been an exciting couple of days. I went to a game on Saturday and my wife is going today.
This was my country

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53567 on: September 30, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »
Lucky ducks!

I will be rooting for the NL Central teams in the NL playoffs (Cubs first).  I am not sure whom I'll choose for my AL team.  Historically, I am a mild Red Sox fan, but it's not totally easy to love them these days.  I may have to choose whichever team makes it from the Central.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53568 on: September 30, 2008, 12:25:32 PM »
I just heard "very few amputations there" as evidence of Iran's relative liberalism on the radio.  Seriously?

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53569 on: September 30, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »
I just heard "very few amputations there" as evidence of Iran's relative liberalism on the radio.  Seriously?

That's quite a scale.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.