Re: SFLSD: Brutally Effective.
« Reply #52310 on: September 11, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
You're fine now I hope.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52311 on: September 11, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »
Have you  been prestige-whoring, inappropriate conduct-conducting, or closet Republican-ing lately?  You usually respond well to my public shaming. :P

I bundled over $80 million for the RNC today.  :-[

I'm kind of down today actually.  :(

here are some cute kittys to chear you up

I hate kittens.  I hope they catch fire.

Severely underrated post.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52312 on: September 12, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »
You're fine now I hope.

i am.  bedtime, really.  bar night was attended and left.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52313 on: September 12, 2008, 01:36:19 AM »
iTunes 8 may finally compete with WMP

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #52314 on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:13 AM »
My morning is beginning with a bloody nose.  Awesome.

Harvey Dent

• Nothing bad ever happens on the dirt road...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52315 on: September 12, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »
My morning is beginning with a bloody nose.  Awesome.

::condolences::

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #52316 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:01 AM »
Thanks.  Good morning and have a good day, Stanley.

« Reply #52317 on: September 12, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »
Shortish answer: my college roommate passed away from cancer this summer, after an extended-type battle with a bajillion different types of complications. (I would've said "died," but she was totally the kind of person who would be really irritated at me for saying "died" and not "passed away," so.)

When she first relapsed sophomore year, she gave all the roomies silver bracelets that say "strength" on them, because when she first came down with osteosarcoma, her whole family wore tibetan bead bracelets for healing (remember them?), and so it was kind of a thing. At the time, I sort of promised myself that I would wear the bracelet until she had five years of remission (so, "cured"), and if that didn't happen, I would just kind of, well, wear it forever. So the upshot is that she didn't get five years, and so I'm down to wear it forever. But occasionally I take it off (if I'm dying of heat or whatever), and then I feel like a bad person and I just hate myself for taking it off, etc etc. So: the desire to make it permanent.

Add onto this that during the past year I've developed a nice little anxiety/health anxiety problem (read: when not convinced that the BF is going to get hit by a car on his way to work, I am convinced that I have both melanoma, cervical cancer, and then some really exotic cancer for good measure). I don't think it's clinical, so I'm not interested, especially, in going the therapy/meds route.

The tattoo would either say, in very small letters, "strength," to match the bracelet exactly, or possibly a biblical phrase in Hebrew, "chazak ve-amatz": what God told Joshua, which was to "Be strong and of good courage."

The point would be that I would be marking myself in a very permanent way to commemorate my friend, but also to sort of deal with my fears. Having the tat hidden under my hair would be a way of symbolizing "inner strength," and the idea (this is to sort of deal with the health anxiety stuff) is that people would only see my "inner strength" if something bad happened, and I lost my hair, and then I needed to exhibit that inner strength in a more outer way (read: chemo). My mom says that this would be such a jinx, that I would basically be inviting cancer, but, y'know, the whole point is that I'm sure I'm getting some kind of cancer anyway.

Anyway, that's the idea. I'd have to shave a large chunk of the back of my head, so I'd probably have to wait til interview season's over, anyway. And I just had this idea yesterday, so obviously I'm going to sit and think about it for a while.

Oh, and a plug, because that's how I roll: http://www.fosterfoundation.com/

Harvey Dent

• Nothing bad ever happens on the dirt road...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52318 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:34 AM »
My sympathies and condolences.

I've never heard of anyone getting a tattoo under their hair, but it sounds like a nice idea.  Would it bother you at all that you'd never actually see it or would it be enough that you know it's there?

« Reply #52319 on: September 12, 2008, 05:50:14 AM »
I think it would be okay that I would know it's there. There's a reason I don't have any other tattoos, I guess. (Aside from the fact that my parents would break my face and God would be sad.)

The bf provisionally likes the idea, which was actually surprising.