Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Brutally Effective.
« Reply #51910 on: September 07, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »
Hm.  Last time I dealt with boning it was for my prom dress.  Which my mom made.  She's an amazing seamstress, in the pattern-following way, not the design-y way.   I would probably try to bust out a seamripper and pull the boning out, and then call her to fix the dress when I screwed it up.

And yes, it's for a class.  It makes about as much sense to me as the section on synthetic derivatives in my securities book.

Okay! I cut them out and it is like fifty times more comfortable. And so far I do not appear to have destroyed anything. w00t!

And yes, it is a bit prommy  :P :D

ETA: Upon further contemplation, it may pretty much define the kind-of-embarrassingly-prommy-but cute-anyway dress. It involves tulle, satin pleats, and straplessness  :D But I swear it's not hideous!

ETA 2: I guess I'll let y'all be the judges of that:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=104155&CategoryID=2910&PartnerID=SHP&cm_mmc=PMD-_-BizRate-_-Product_Terms-_-BCBGMAXAZRIA_Centurian_Satin_Strapless_Dress

I may have been wooed by the extreme sale at BCBG (76% off!), but I still think it's kind of cute. In a prommy way.

Ok, fair enough.  You're a brave lady.

(It's pretty - I couldn't wear it in a million years.)

Gengiswump

• View Profile
« Reply #51911 on: September 07, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »
IOUN, I am thinking of applying to my city's legal department.  Out of 14 divisions of the law department, three deal solely with police issues: one for police brutality cases, one for pattern and practice, and one for dealing with constitutional challenges to police ordinances like loitering.   :-[

Why ashamed face?  Oh . . . wait . . . which side would you be on?

« Reply #51912 on: September 07, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
Why ashamed face?  Oh . . . wait . . . which side would you be on?

The city is its own defense firm.  I mean, it hires outside counsel all the time, but it uses its own attorneys too.

You can apply to certain divisions, but I'm not sure how much preferences matter in assignment when you're fresh out.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51913 on: September 07, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
Wally: I saw it, and you are wrong.  That is all.

Totally siggable.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51914 on: September 07, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »
[shows off new leaf]

Also, Right to Dignity under the German constitution is one of the craziest legal principles I have ever encountered.  It is so wacky that I seriously have no easily articulated position on whether or not I even like it, as a general concept or how it's practically applied in Germany.  (Actually, I'm pretty sure that the latter will come to annoy me in abortion stuff in Germany, but still.)

[/shows off new leaf]

Fascinating.  Comparative constitutional law, or something else?  (I wanted to take that, but it didn't fit into my schedule.  I was pretty bummed.)

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51915 on: September 07, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »
I wonder if my brother will get married soon.

I would be scared of the bridesmaid dresses his gf would pick, to be perfectly honest.

I was a bridesmaid in 1990 for my then 24-year-old cousin.  There was full-skirted peach irridescence,  a sweetheart neckline with a sequined inset, and puffy sleeves.  My mother wore the dress for a Glenda the Good Witch costume a few years later.

Wow. :D @ this and at our very own Diana of Wales commemorative plate.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51916 on: September 07, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
IOUN, I am thinking of applying to my city's legal department.  Out of 14 divisions of the law department, three deal solely with police issues: one for police brutality cases, one for pattern and practice, and one for dealing with constitutional challenges to police ordinances like loitering.   :-[

Yikes.  Our city law department is much the same, and it draws a lot of goons.  At the same time, some of the stuff it does (particularly in the affirmative litigation units) is cool.  Apply, express your preferences, and see how it goes?  Obviously if something better comes along, you don't have to take it.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51917 on: September 07, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
Please allow me also to take a moment out to register my appreciation of the fact that our "your dad" meme has taken on such a rich life.

::sentimentals::

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #51918 on: September 07, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »
Goalie, I bet you look gorgeous in that dress!

Gengiswump

• View Profile
« Reply #51919 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
Please allow me also to take a moment out to register my appreciation of the fact that our "your dad" meme has taken on such a rich life.

::sentimentals::

Where?!