Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Brutally Effective.
« Reply #51890 on: September 07, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
So, when I descend on A2, are we going to get wasted somewhere gay?

Would you like to?

« Reply #51891 on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
You know what I meant, biatch.

I'm not really sure it matters - your dad likes it, and that's good enough for me.

runs in the family, really.

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51892 on: September 07, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »

I'm not really sure it matters - your dad likes it, and that's good enough for me.

I see what you did there.

« Reply #51893 on: September 07, 2008, 06:27:07 PM »

I see what you did there.

;D

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51894 on: September 07, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »
Question for G in her seamstress hat (or anyone else): So I bought this dress for a wedding I'm going to (because oh my gosh they were having the best sale ever and it was like 85% off), but now that I try it on again I find that the boning in the torso area is pretty uncomfortable. What are the odds of me completely destroying the dress if I try to cut out the boning? Is that stuff generally integral to the structure of the garment? Or is this a question that can only be answered on a case-by-case basis?

« Reply #51895 on: September 07, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
Boning?  Really?

ION, Milton's Areopagitica is giving me agita.

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #51896 on: September 07, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
Boning?  Really?

ION, Milton's Areopagitica is giving me agita.

I mean, it's not real whale or anything  :D But yeah, just some shaping pieces, I guess.

And goodness. Is it for a seminar or just for kicks?

« Reply #51897 on: September 07, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »
Hm.  Last time I dealt with boning it was for my prom dress.  Which my mom made.  She's an amazing seamstress, in the pattern-following way, not the design-y way.   I would probably try to bust out a seamripper and pull the boning out, and then call her to fix the dress when I screwed it up.

And yes, it's for a class.  It makes about as much sense to me as the section on synthetic derivatives in my securities book.

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #51898 on: September 07, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
Hm.  Last time I dealt with boning it was for my prom dress.  Which my mom made.  She's an amazing seamstress, in the pattern-following way, not the design-y way.   I would probably try to bust out a seamripper and pull the boning out, and then call her to fix the dress when I screwed it up.

And yes, it's for a class.  It makes about as much sense to me as the section on synthetic derivatives in my securities book.

Okay! I cut them out and it is like fifty times more comfortable. And so far I do not appear to have destroyed anything. w00t!

And yes, it is a bit prommy  :P :D

ETA: Upon further contemplation, it may pretty much define the kind-of-embarrassingly-prommy-but cute-anyway dress. It involves tulle, satin pleats, and straplessness  :D But I swear it's not hideous!

ETA 2: I guess I'll let y'all be the judges of that:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=104155&CategoryID=2910&PartnerID=SHP&cm_mmc=PMD-_-BizRate-_-Product_Terms-_-BCBGMAXAZRIA_Centurian_Satin_Strapless_Dress

I may have been wooed by the extreme sale at BCBG (76% off!), but I still think it's kind of cute. In a prommy way.

« Reply #51899 on: September 07, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »

Okay! I cut them out and it is like fifty times more comfortable. And so far I do not appear to have destroyed anything. w00t!

And yes, it is a bit prommy  :P :D

ETA: Upon further contemplation, it may pretty much define the kind-of-embarrassingly-prommy-but cute-anyway dress. It involves tulle, satin pleats, and straplessness  :D But I swear it's not hideous!

Pictures!