Re: SFLSD: Brutally Effective.
« Reply #50891 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »
I have no control over the future

that can't be right

I'm almost done with my why penn essay.

Look at you being all productive!

I'm not doing much these days.

Are you back at school?

Not until this weekend. A few days left in paradise.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #50892 on: August 26, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
'clasttt, does Cady have your permission?  Because if not, I think she might be in line for some discipline.

::giggles::

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #50893 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
I troll incessantly for whatever it is I'm planning on doing.  Can you really blame me for trying to recruit her?  ???

I suppose not.  But do you actually believe that biglaw is somehow nobler or better than government work?  If not, why are you pushing her into it?  If so, why do you focus your attention exclusively on goalie and not on the other people here who have opted out of the private sector (not that goalie has opted out of the private sector)?  Is it because of her superior credentials, or is it just your weird mode of flirtation?

ETA: My point, I guess, is that this is not really a value-neutral thing, like trolling for someone to, say, move to a certain city where you plan to be is.  For one, people's decisions about whether it's important to them to meet a certain income threshold or have a job "doing good" or whatever are deeply personal and implicate both their social histories and their moral values.  Second, you are trolling in the context of a culture that values highly paid private firm work as the ultimate career achievement (short of SCOTUS clerking, say), an important way of distinguishing  between a qualified elite and the masses. 

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #50894 on: August 26, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
There's no need to apologize.  I'm just trying to figure out why you do it.  Also, see my edit.

« Reply #50895 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:21 PM »
'clasttt, does Cady have your permission?  Because if not, I think she might be in line for some discipline.

Teehee!

Also, I think I just saw a swastika mown into the grass at a freeway exit. People getting ready for the convention so soon?

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50896 on: August 26, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »

Teehee!

Also, I think I just saw a swastika mown into the grass at a freeway exit. People getting ready for the convention so soon?

In its Hindu form, right?  Right?

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #50897 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
There's no need to apologize.  I'm just trying to figure out why you do it.  Also, see my edit.

I've trolled with regard to our mutual friend Tom as well you know.

So private sector v. public interest is not value neutral?  Is that what it comes down to?

Partly. 

I think it's different with Tom because he has shown an serious interest in the field and in your particular employers.  With goalie it's as if you dismiss her interest in doing something else because it's not good enough for her.  I don't know what your conversations about it in private are like, and I am only commenting based on my observations here.  (I am also -- emphatically -- not speaking for goalie.  For all I know, she may appreciate your help and suggestions very much.)

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50898 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »

Teehee!

In its Hindu form, right?  Right?

Guys in my high school mowed swastikas into the grass at freeway exits all the time.  It was no big deal.

Totally.  Just a bit of a good luck charm.  Help the football team and all that.

« Reply #50899 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »
<-helps the  football team