Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.  (Read 2720858 times)

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: SFLSD: I don't quite understand
« Reply #35780 on: February 20, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »
Who woulda thought the NY Times would turn on him as son as it was clear he was the nominee?  :D

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35781 on: February 20, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »
Who woulda thought the NY Times would turn on him as son as it was clear he was the nominee?  :D

I dunno, right-wing conspiracy theorists? That is to say, right-wingers blaming the liberal media?

Edit: I probably missed the sarcasm here...I should stop procrastinating from legal research.

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #35782 on: February 20, 2008, 11:12:35 PM »
This happened 8 years ago, and they are both denying it. You gotta admit the timing was quite suspect.

Edit: I'm not a big McCain guy btw.

Double Edit: Half sarcasm, half- sketchy timing

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35783 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:24 PM »
Quick question for the legal writing gurus:

I have 4 factors that I have to analyze for the one of the standards for my motion.  Do i have to quote them exactly when i list them, or can i paraphrase? also, our prof told us to talk about 2 together, can i paraphrase them together or write them seperately in the initial part, then talk about them together?

Gracias!

My LRW prof says quote exactly at least once, then you can paraphrase after.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35784 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

I have 4 factors that I have to analyze for the one of the standards for my motion.  Do i have to quote them exactly when i list them, or can i paraphrase? also, our prof told us to talk about 2 together, can i paraphrase them together or write them seperately in the initial part, then talk about them together?

Gracias!

Thanks!  Though I'm now completely unsure what to do, since everyone i've asked has given me a different answer!  :-\
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35785 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:06 PM »

Gracias!

Thanks!  Though I'm now completely unsure what to do, since everyone i've asked has given me a different answer!  :-\

Mine was the most relaxed guy in the world, so if he had a thing that he said one should do, we generally noted it . . .

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35786 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »
maybe now it's relevant? 
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35787 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35788 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »
This happened 8 years ago, and they are both denying it. You gotta admit the timing was quite suspect.

Edit: I'm not a big McCain guy btw.

Double Edit: Half sarcasm, half- sketchy timing

Disclaimer:
<-- McCain girl

Supposedly the NY Times "knew for months" that they were going to make this a story.  So what's troubling is that they made him their guy.  AFTER they knew of this story.  Something's fishy.

I have heard from a reliable source that McCain's people have been pressuring the Times not to print this for months and the story was continually vetted and re-vetted.  I do see the liberal conspiracy angle w/r/t the Times' endorsement (though, come on, who else was the Times going to endorse?  Paul?), but I also think the timing of the story is probably as much a result of trying to work with McCain's handlers as it is an effort to shoot him down when he's riding high.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35789 on: February 20, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
Are you guys following this?  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us/politics/21mccain.htm

It really does remind me of that first Lewinsky story.

::crosses fingers::

Props to Opoto, who first posted it in BLSD's politics thread a few hours ago.

I love that the NYT chose to end with this:

"“It is a shame that The New York Times has lowered its standards to engage in a hit-and-run smear campaign. John McCain has a 24-year record of serving our country with honor and integrity. He has never violated the public trust, never done favors for special interests or lobbyists, and he will not allow a smear campaign to distract from the issues at stake in this election.

“Americans are sick and tired of this kind of gutter politics, and there is nothing in this story to suggest that John McCain has ever violated the principles that have guided his career.”

---

Because it wasn't a half bad story, but I wasn't really surprised or intrigued . . . until that statement, which seems to be overreactng quite a bit to the story I just read.  Which makes a girl wonder.  Which is exactly what the NYT likely wanted, but couldn't have gotten on their own without the McCain camp getting all in a tizzy. 

Whoever tacked that onto the end - my hat's off to you.