SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
urp.

The Ice King

• kneel.
    • View Profile
I know, I know. Intellectually I know that, at least.

We think we need not consider such things intellectually.  Such things happen with or without our consideration.  Such things are not in our control, but even with the greatest discipline we sometimes think about such things and we witness the irrational.  It is not a happy experience for us.

Usually in these moments, we imagine something beautiful.  Something equally irrational but in the other direction.  The irrationality of joy, not fear.

This gets us through, mostly.

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
The best part of dumping Jesus was the unrestrained drinking binges

i haven't dumped jesus and i'm already free to go on unrestrained drinking binges.

am i seriously the only semi-religious person here?
No.

The best part of dumping Jesus was the unrestrained drinking binges

and being able to fully enjoy premarital sex without the guilt afterwards

(especially when it coincided with an unrestrained drinking binge)

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
Oh, it's not all that exciting. I was on a retreat with the Jesus Club, and the speaker we had was preaching predestination to us. I'd already started to not like Jesus because I liked the demon alcohol (and my relationship with religion/God was complicated because it was interwoven with struggles with anorexia and depression), but that was kind of the last straw for me. I decided that if this whackjob was right, that wasn't a God I wanted to worship, and if he was wrong, how could I really know what to believe, when the same verses could be interpreted so differently? So I went home, drank some vodka, and dumped Jesus.
That's interesting. A friend of mine is a Calvinist. We have conversations about a variety of religious and political topics and more or less agree most of the time. Calvinism, however, is the only thing that he is flat-out evangelical about--he's not willing to concede anything. Although he swears it's about more than predestination, that's the sticking point in our conversation. Although there is ample biblical stuff in that vein, there is also plenty of stuff where, not only do people have consequential free will, but God, him/herself seems to change his/her mind. It fits more with human experience, I think, that there is true choice and choice matters. I'm an open theist as a result.

These differences result in radically different interpretations of verses. For instance, I think that when Jesus invited the rich young ruler to sell all he had and follow himself, I think this was a genuine open invitation that he could've acted on. The future hadn't been decided. Whereas my friend believes that the young ruler was fated to respond negatively because God wasn't in his heart, he wasn't part of the elect, or whatever.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
To be fair, my friend believes that it's possible that everyone in the world is of the elect and we just have no way of knowing. It's not necessarily cold, but it certainly seems that way most of the time.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
IORN, at my mother's church Jesus was wearing an Abu-Ghraib hood while being interrogated in the passion play. I thought that was stone-cold brilliant.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
Man, my wife is going to wonder why "Sundance 'vagina dentata'" is in my search history.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
I don't really trust myself to figure out the truth, and I'm not ready to try. I know what I believe about people, and the way I should live my life, and that's good enough for me for now? 
The thrust of a lot of the conversation with my friend was me saying "It's complicated and I'm ok with that." I feel like my position is more ambiguous, while he's got the whole thing wrapped up in a fairly tidy box. I dunno.

Le Docteur De Peste

• Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
My bass sounds awesome through this crappy squire combo amp. Taking questions.

What kind of strings?