Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Re: SFLSD: Feeling you.
« Reply #64630 on: February 20, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

:: tries to Bluebook foreign sources properly ::
:: fails ::

:D :D :D

archival is always right and funny.

-

Today is apartment cleaning day. I really need to clean my closet, because I just got two new dresses, but I can't really get to the extra hangers. Instead I am watching soap operas.

I hope publicaly declaring this apartment cleaning day will motivate me, because it has been apartment cleaning day every day for the past two and a half weeks...

« Reply #64631 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
MBW, did I miss the part where ctl, erm, manned up and apologized to you for his a-hole post?

Nope.  Didn't miss a thing, QB.   ::) 

Does anyone remember when I came over here a few weeks back begging to be save from pretentious assholes?  There was a specific reason.

I admitted that my comment was inappropriate, but I feel I should apologize to an entire group rather than one individual. 

I'll say it here, but I'll feel it where I stand: I'm sorry for the comment about 'lynch mobs'.  It was way out of line, and obviously made in poor taste. 

I appreciate that you came in here to apologize.  I think that took some guts.  

I don't really know you well enough to express an opinion one way or the other on the other stuff, but you have always been nice enough to me.

I will add --

Sometimes the libertarian dudes around here complain about feeling silenced or hemmed in by "pc" or feminism or whatnot.  When I read your comment and others in Exile (particularly Lindy's), I felt as if there was no way for me to express my opinion on the matter without being cast as a humorless feminazi.  If you want to encourage people to share their perspectives (especially, in this case, women who have more professional experience than you), this is probably not a good way to do it.  

dit.to.

(that's how i say it in my head when i'm feeling particularly emphatic)

« Reply #64632 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

Can I PLEASE sig this?  It is just too precious.

Of course. :D

I do understand that it's weird for people who are only used to hanging out with folks who are just like them in most ways to come into spaces (electronic ones, work ones, school ones) where there are Others.  I think, though, that if you really feel persecuted when some random old (or not-so-old) fart on the hinternet points out, in a relatively friendly way, that the term "girls" is problematic for a variety of pragmatic and normative reasons, it's probably worth thinking about.  Or, y'know, not.

:: continues to be befuddled by T.2 ::

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #64633 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
MBW, did I miss the part where ctl, erm, manned up and apologized to you for his a-hole post?

Does anyone remember when I came over here a few weeks back begging to be save from pretentious assholes?  There was a specific reason.

I admitted that my comment was inappropriate, but I feel I should apologize to an entire group rather than one individual. 

I'll say it here, but I'll feel it where I stand: I'm sorry for the comment about 'lynch mobs'.  It was way out of line, and obviously made in poor taste. 

I don't really know you well enough to express an opinion one way or the other on the other stuff, but you have always been nice enough to me.

I will add --

Sometimes the libertarian dudes around here complain about feeling silenced or hemmed in by "pc" or feminism or whatnot.  When I read your comment and others in Exile (particularly Lindy's), I felt as if there was no way for me to express my opinion on the matter without being cast as a humorless feminazi.  If you want to encourage people to share their perspectives (especially, in this case, women who have more professional experience than you), this is probably not a good way to do it.  

dit.to.

3rdzies, except I'm not as generous as MP, as I think there's a fine line between bravery and hubris.

CTL, I didn't like, at all, being put into a position where not only did I feel I couldn't express my position without getting branded a humorless feminazi, but since I know you've been in this thread, and know that a number of people participate in here and in Exile, I especially didn't like being essentially forced to response or feel like I'd betrayed my friends.  That is just so, well, f-ing High School.  And yeah, we're xdubbing as well, but we didn't start a thread, then retreat to here just to dis what was said there and who said it.

There so few threads in which women generally feel pretty safe on LSD, and this is one.  MAS certainly wasn't, and neither was Exile, until just recently.  Well, now it isn't again.  And that just pisses me off.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #64634 on: February 20, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »

3rdzies, except I'm not as generous as MP, as I think there's a fine line between bravery and hubris.

CTL, I didn't like, at all, being put into a position where not only did I feel I couldn't express my position without getting branded a humorless feminazi, but since I know you've been in this thread, and know that a number of people participate in here and in Exile, I especially didn't like being essentially forced to response or feel like I'd betrayed my friends.  That is just so, well, f-ing High School.  And yeah, we're xdubbing as well, but we didn't start a thread, then retreat to here just to dis what was said there and who said it.

There so few threads in which women generally feel pretty safe on LSD, and this is one.  MAS certainly wasn't, and neither was Exile, until just recently.  Well, now it isn't again.  And that just pisses me off.
]

There were quite a few female posters who felt very welcome in MAS.  Stef, Tink, and Reese all being major MAS posters.

::)

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #64635 on: February 20, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »

I will add --

dit.to.

There so few threads in which women generally feel pretty safe on LSD, and this is one.  MAS certainly wasn't, and neither was Exile, until just recently.  Well, now it isn't again.  And that just pisses me off.

I think I missed something  cuase I don't know what's going on, maybe its becuase I'm just so offensinve to everyone that I don't see other folks coming up to my level so I don't notice it. But I don't think exile is not a safe place for women, its not a safe place for noobs (male or female) but I don't get the vibe that its anti women (myself excluded of course we all know how i feelz about the womenz).

This is wrong.

• Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64636 on: February 20, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »

There so few threads in which women generally feel pretty safe on LSD, and this is one.  

Wait, what?  I haven't been doing my job properly!  *&^%!

::oppresses::
::enforces stereotypical gender roles::
::glass ceilings::
::anti-feminazis::

::cozies dildos::

« Reply #64637 on: February 20, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
::dentatas::

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #64638 on: February 20, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
::does that thing to female genitalia that I don't even know what its called but I know its offensive so I do it anyways::

« Reply #64639 on: February 20, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
Do people still say that?  I thought there'd been a backlash against the backlash by this point or something.

This person (heh. conscious use of non-gendered language.) still seems to think it's funny and/or appropriate.

Oh I must just be uptight then.

Did you see this?
"When it came to salary, location and holiday, the studentsí decisions matched their stated preferences. However, the bossís sex turned out to be far more important than they said it was (this was true whether a student was male or female). In effect, they were willing to pay a 22% tax on their starting salary to have a male boss."
http://thesituationist.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/the-stereotype-tax/

That's my prof's blog!

eta: woo. Looks like some *&^% went down. I don't go into exile for the same reason I spent so much time d-dubbing out of MAS. And the title of the girl one provoked such a "no *&^%, it's potentially problematic, what are you, a f-ing dumbass?" response that I didn't even bother looking in.