Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Harvey Dent

• Nothing bad ever happens on the dirt road...
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Brutally Effective.
« Reply #52690 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:46 PM »
loabi, your thoughts on this?

::speechlesses::

Jaw agape?

Maybe you should get some sleep.

I'm sorry.  I'll be better behaved in the future.*

*This is not a guarantee.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #52691 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:36 PM »
Still, I don't see why you would interpret what I said as calling prosecutors racist and classist.  I was describing a job -- i.e., prosecution -- not people.

Different parsings I guess.

No, I don't understand, and I'm a little insulted.  I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone in this thread would have taken my post seriously.  And if one were to take it seriously, he or she would have to make at least one (I can think of others that would help) unwarranted assumption : that I believe prosecutors are responsible for the bias in the system.  While I do think prosecutors have excessive discretion and often make bad decisions, I do not believe this is where the majority of race and class bias comes in.

::headaches::

Harvey Dent

• View Profile
« Reply #52692 on: September 16, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
Still, I don't see why you would interpret what I said as calling prosecutors racist and classist.  I was describing a job -- i.e., prosecution -- not people.

No, I don't understand, and I'm a little insulted.  I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone in this thread would have taken my post seriously.  And if one were to take it seriously, he or she would have to make at least one (I can think of others that would help) unwarranted assumption : that I believe prosecutors are responsible for the bias in the system.  While I do think prosecutors have excessive discretion and often make bad decisions, I do not believe this is where the majority of race and class bias comes in.

I apologize.  I certainly was not trying to be insulting, and my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  If one were to be uncharitable, one would read "planning to lock up the coloreds and the poors" as suggesting that people who want to be prosecutors actively have this as a goal.  Obviously this is not what you meant, but it could be read that way and so I was trying to poke fun at you a little bit about it.  That's all.  Again, apologies.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #52693 on: September 16, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
I apologize.  I certainly was not trying to be insulting, and my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  If one were to be uncharitable, one would read "planning to lock up the coloreds and the poors" as suggesting that people who want to be prosecutors actively have this as a goal.  Obviously this is not what you meant, but it could be read that way and so I was trying to poke fun at you a little bit about it.  That's all.  Again, apologies.

Accepted.  I'm sorry for being a bit sensitive about this.  Everything is getting me down these days.

And do you want to know my real opinion?  The choice to become a prosecutor in the system we have is a very serious one that does implicate one's commitment to racial and economic justice.  A lot of people do it for good reasons, but their careers are not always easy and they sometimes have to make compromises I would not be willing to make.  I am sure credo would say the same thing about my job and some of the people I defend.  That's our system, I suppose.

Harvey Dent

• View Profile
« Reply #52694 on: September 16, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »

Accepted.  I'm sorry for being a bit sensitive about this.  Everything is getting me down these days.

And do you want to know my real opinion?  The choice to become a prosecutor in the system we have is a very serious one that does implicate one's commitment to racial and economic justice.  A lot of people do it for good reasons, but their careers are not always easy and they sometimes have to make compromises I would not be willing to make.  I am sure credo would say the same thing about my job and some of the people I defend.  That's our system, I suppose.

Would it be okay if I prosecuted white collar crimes?  ;)

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #52695 on: September 16, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
Still, I don't see why you would interpret what I said as calling prosecutors racist and classist.  I was describing a job -- i.e., prosecution -- not people.

No, I don't understand, and I'm a little insulted.  I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone in this thread would have taken my post seriously.  And if one were to take it seriously, he or she would have to make at least one (I can think of others that would help) unwarranted assumption : that I believe prosecutors are responsible for the bias in the system.  While I do think prosecutors have excessive discretion and often make bad decisions, I do not believe this is where the majority of race and class bias comes in.

Open invitation to the tiki bar still stands   :-*.

Feel better... and less over-committed, soon.

« Reply #52696 on: September 16, 2008, 04:38:36 PM »
Catch any crab today?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #52697 on: September 16, 2008, 04:40:44 PM »
Catch any crab today?

6-8 good sized.  But they kept eating each other.  Had them on ice, but finally let them go.  Damn cannibals  >:(.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #52698 on: September 16, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
Catch any crab today?

6-8 good sized.  But they kept eating each other.  Had them on ice, but finally let them go.  Damn cannibals  >:(.

Yes, but they kept ripping off the limbs I wanted to eat!

If you were that tasty, wouldn't you be a cannibal, too?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #52699 on: September 16, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
Catch any crab today?

If you were that tasty, wouldn't you be a cannibal, too?
Yes, but they kept ripping off the limbs I wanted to eat!

So, your problem is that they got to them first?

Exactly.  Was so little left to them, I had to let them go  >:( .

ETA:  Besides, like you, I'm a Cancer - there's cannibalism, and then, well, there's cannibalism. :)