Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: We're in ur unreads, messing up ur threadz.
« Reply #4790 on: March 20, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
"Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20moral.html

Some animals are surprisingly sensitive to the plight of others. Chimpanzees, who cannot swim, have drowned in zoo moats trying to save others. Given the chance to get food by pulling a chain that would also deliver an electric shock to a companion, rhesus monkeys will starve themselves for several days.

Biologists argue that these and other social behaviors are the precursors of human morality. They further believe that if morality grew out of behavioral rules shaped by evolution, it is for biologists, not philosophers or theologians, to say what these rules are.

rofl.

nice

i think they're right.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »
Hey, Cady and I are the lemon cake bakers around here.

Elephant Lee

• Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: March 20, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »
"Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20moral.html

Some animals are surprisingly sensitive to the plight of others. Chimpanzees, who cannot swim, have drowned in zoo moats trying to save others. Given the chance to get food by pulling a chain that would also deliver an electric shock to a companion, rhesus monkeys will starve themselves for several days.

Biologists argue that these and other social behaviors are the precursors of human morality. They further believe that if morality grew out of behavioral rules shaped by evolution, it is for biologists, not philosophers or theologians, to say what these rules are.

rofl.

nice

i think they're right.
Why? The origins of morality may be in biology so biologists get to keep the morality flag? No. It's whoever makes the best case. Also, biology has its origins in chemistry and physics, so should we give chemists and physicists the trump card when discussing biology?

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »
So that means we give physicists morality as well, right?

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: March 20, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »

Maybe when he agrees to go out dancing.

I'm in.

You wouldn't tease a girl, would ya?

I reserve the right to be too busy, but probably won't be.

Why? The origins of morality may be in biology so biologists get to keep the morality flag? No. It's whoever makes the best case. Also, biology has its origins in chemistry and physics, so should we give chemists and physicists the trump card when discussing biology?

yes.

as soon as we can solve the billion*10^billion*10^billion*10^billion*10^(...) body QM problem...

so you're safe.  we can't even solve a 2 body QM problem in most cases.

I think it's healthy to grow morality out of a seed rather than thrust an entire set of independently created philosophy.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: March 20, 2007, 08:47:59 PM »
Independent from what? We're it. If morality stems, in part, from evolution then we are the evolved and evolving. Anything we come up with is connected to the root by virtue of it being ours.

Elephant Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: March 20, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=91LdqBRqHbQ

This song is so confusing and the video doesn't help at all.

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: March 20, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »
Independent from what? We're it. If morality stems, in part, from evolution then we are the evolved and evolving. Anything we come up with is connected to the root by virtue of it being ours.

Further into the article, the main researcher on the subject makes the point that understanding such a root is important.  Implied in his statement is that the researcher doesn't feel the root is the whole story, as the over-stated intro would have you think.

(essentially, the researcher sees it as evidence of Hume's position that morals are emotionally rather than rationally based.)

I like the scientist's take better than Elephant's. 

It's independent from the natural order of things.  Humans are smart enough to come up with a whole bunch of rules/morals, none of which may be appropriate (many types of religion.)  Morals should evolve (with a little help) but stem from a basic ideal.

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: March 20, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »
It's independent from the natural order of things.  Humans are smart enough to come up with a whole bunch of rules/morals, none of which may be appropriate (many types of religion.)  Morals should evolve (with a little help) but stem from a basic ideal.

like... do unto others before they do unto you.... that's a good one.

Not really.   :(

mugatu

• View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: March 20, 2007, 09:30:33 PM »
like... do unto others before they do unto you.... that's a good one.

Not really.   :(

love thy neighbor, for she is good in bed?

I think you're still missing it.