Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: We're in ur unreads, messing up ur threadz.
« Reply #4740 on: March 20, 2007, 12:57:52 PM »
Oh.  Well, that doesn't count!   :D

Yeah, my only three consistent moneymakers:

1.  Bachelorette parties.  As long as one or two of them take a fancy to me, that is.
2.  Groups of older ladies (50+).  But not over 65.  Then the tips decrease drastically.
3.  Large groups headed by patriarchs looking to impress the table.  I'm pretty good with groups, and I know how to suck up to these guys.  And they're old enough and surrounded by enough frowning women that it doesn't bother them being served by the guy instead of all the sexy girls that abound at the restaurant.

Other than that, it's a complete toss-up, and I'd much rather pawn the table off on a female server who'll make a better tip than I will.

Eh. Many women won't tip other women very well. How's that for my feminism?

The guys at my restaurant were much better at wheedling and whining to the managers and the hostesses about getting better sections, and being aggressive about keeping a table when it shouldn't necessarily have been theirs.

Weird.  Those guys are smart, if not devious.

This was only true for some of my restaurants.  Usually, this counted at the places where the hostesses were attracted to the guys.  These guys rooled the roost.  I, on the other hand, got my in with the kitchen.  Didn't always get the best tables, but got the best service to them.

And you're right about women not tipping women.  It's crazy how bitchy some ladies get when they go to a restaurant and get served by another woman. 

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: March 20, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »
Shall we all agree that gender plays a role in how people respond to and tip their server, and it can have a big impact on how much money you make depending on the demographic that you're serving and a variety of other factors?

We weren't agreeing on that already?

The rain making you feel feisty?

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: March 20, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »
Oh.  Well, that doesn't count!   :D

Yeah, my only three consistent moneymakers:

1.  Bachelorette parties.  As long as one or two of them take a fancy to me, that is.
2.  Groups of older ladies (50+).  But not over 65.  Then the tips decrease drastically.
3.  Large groups headed by patriarchs looking to impress the table.  I'm pretty good with groups, and I know how to suck up to these guys.  And they're old enough and surrounded by enough frowning women that it doesn't bother them being served by the guy instead of all the sexy girls that abound at the restaurant.

Other than that, it's a complete toss-up, and I'd much rather pawn the table off on a female server who'll make a better tip than I will.

Eh. Many women won't tip other women very well. How's that for my feminism?

The guys at my restaurant were much better at wheedling and whining to the managers and the hostesses about getting better sections, and being aggressive about keeping a table when it shouldn't necessarily have been theirs.

Weird.  Those guys are smart, if not devious.

This was only true for some of my restaurants.  Usually, this counted at the places where the hostesses were attracted to the guys.  These guys rooled the roost.  I, on the other hand, got my in with the kitchen.  Didn't always get the best tables, but got the best service to them.

And you're right about women not tipping women.  It's crazy how bitchy some ladies get when they go to a restaurant and get served by another woman. 

I read an article about how women who go to restaurants with men, often get treated as the "submissive one."  The waiter or waitress will only make eye contact with the male, if the waitress is female, somestimes she'll mostly ignore the girl, while she flirts with the guy.  Sometimes, the waiter/waitress will look at the guy the whole time they're taking the order as if the guy is suppose to order for himself and his "date."  And when the check is due, some servers will automatically give it to the guy.  This often annoys female clients who, if paying, leave a smaller tip.

This is possibly true. 

I was very careful about this.  Always put the check in the middle of the table, unless someone has specified early on that it's theirs. 

Also, I had a problem where I had a tough time looking at the guy and would spend more time making eye contact with the woman/en/yn at the table.  Maybe this is why my tips were shoddy here.  hahahaha

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: March 20, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
Male waiters make good tips most places, in my experience.

And the most upscale places have mostly male waiters, in my experience.

Absolutely.

Why?

Good question. Because that's where the most money is in serving, and allegedly what requires the most skill/expertise, and it's completely dominated by men. Seriously, check it out next time you're in a five star restaurant (or, you know, walking by one, since we're all about to be students). Because that's the way it's always been? I don't know what keeps it that way, but that's how it is.

I've been to a few nice restaurants, and haven't noticed the fact that there are more men than women serving the food.  I'll be extra observant this weekend, though.

J, you want to step in on this one? I could be way off base, but this is the conventional wisdom among the servers that I know, that men get those fancy place jobs.

You're right, goalie. 

It's a blatantly sexist practice.  "Waitering" as a profession is entrenched in very old customs.  It's only really encountered in fine dining establishments because this is where the real "skill" is supposed to shine through. 

In other words, they look down on women who aren't as "good" at waitering as men.  And they do so because they've been doing so since the Middle Ages.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: March 20, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
So, I wore a tshirt from high school to lunch, and the waiter asked me if I was a teacher there.

I'm officially old. 

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: March 20, 2007, 01:53:37 PM »
Point of Clarification: 3 is Michelin's max for eateries, the NYTimes does 4, TONY does 6, Zagat doesn't even use stars . . . it varies, really, by publication.

Michelin is the line of defense against the collapse of Civilization as we almost knew it.

This is where Credo comes in and calls you a yuppie again....

LOLZ I was skimming the board in Stat class and was about to post just that but got distracted by "payment of wages for seamen."

Good stuff.  Cady'd be interested.  She's got the milking machine up and running now.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: March 20, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »
Mmm I am curious how all the Algerians would feel about Red's comparing their struggle to French dilemmas with fusion cuisine or whatever horrible yuppie analogy she was positing.

Also <=== leather pants!

History of "The French" since the War, not of "France" since the War.  Besides, the struggle for authenticity and quality in a world gone decidedly down-market [i.e. the story of the french] is very much parallel to the story of France's search for a role to play in the American era.

EDIT: lol @ the tar. Hot indeed.

"Authenticity", red.?  Hmmmm?

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: March 20, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »

"Authenticity", red.?  Hmmmm?

Oh, shoot.  I'm far more of a goosestepper that I let on.  8)

hhaahahahahhahahaha

::draws a tiny moustache and leather chaps on you::

::adds distinguished evil-looking eagle for effect::

::stands back and admires work::

::disseminates::

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: March 20, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »
But how will the people know, Mein Herr?

(How's THAT for misogyny?)

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: March 20, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
*Visits credo's grave near the Maginot Line.  Regrets roasting his 'guillaume'*

::Smiles in grave knowing his seed is born by Cal's mother and his bloodline shall survive::

CONTRACTZPWN3D!1!!!!1