Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: We're in ur unreads, messing up ur threadz.
« Reply #4730 on: March 20, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
I just want to point out I was America's number one Proust scholar first. 

*sets up strawman*

*changes scope of argument*

:D :D :D

I just want to point out I was America's number one Proust scholar first. 

*sets up strawman*

*changes scope of argument*

:D :D :D

Jinx!

::mumbles incoherently::

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: March 20, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »
*acts wounded when people won't take him seriously. blames it on the fact that his truths are unpopular*

*uses big words to compensate*

*inserts smiley to appear calm and collected*

Astro

• View Profile

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: March 20, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »
*consoles himself with a trip to Outback Steakhouse. Leaves a 5% tip*

*claims it was anywhere but, to appear more classy*

My friend asked me last night about when I used to work at Outback. He mixed it up with the place I used to work. I was suitably indignant.

Edit: for confusing grammar

What!  Outback's an awesome place! 

I mean, the food's okay, but that's not it.  You make crazy easy tips there!  It's probably the number one place I'd work here if I had to go back to serving.

Of course, being a male waiter, the whole crazy tips thing may only apply to me.  Waitresses make them wherever they go.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »

My friend asked me last night about when I used to work at Outback. He mixed it up with the place I used to work. I was suitably indignant.

I mean, the food's okay, but that's not it.  You make crazy easy tips there!  It's probably the number one place I'd work here if I had to go back to serving.

Of course, being a male waiter, the whole crazy tips thing may only apply to me.  Waitresses make them wherever they go.

Yo, dude, I know you have seniority in terms of years of experience and all, but my tips weren't "easy"....

Did I say "easy"?  I certainly did not!

I said "crazy".  Waitresses make disproportionate tips compared to waiters.  It's one of the few places where women are paid more, on average, than men.

What this says about the objectification of women in our society, on the other hand...

Gengis:  Yeah, I wish.  In any case, even when they do make good tips (and I'm not saying I always made bad tips), they're not comparable to the tips that waitresses make.  That is, USUALLY.  The exception?

goalie:  This is the exception.  Five-star fine dining.  Another place where The Patriarchy dug his scaly fingers in and refuses to let go.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: March 20, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »
Are you calling goalie easy, or crazy, or both?

::cracks...

Naaaaaaaah. 

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: March 20, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »

Yo, dude, I know you have seniority in terms of years of experience and all, but my tips weren't "easy"....

Did I say "easy"?  I certainly did not!

I said "crazy".  Waitresses make disproportionate tips compared to waiters. It's one of the few places where women are paid more, on average, than men.

What this says about the objectification of women in our society, on the other hand...

Gengis:  Yeah, I wish.  In any case, even when they do make good tips (and I'm not saying I always made bad tips), they're not comparable to the tips that waitresses make. That is, USUALLY.  The exception?

goalie:  This is the exception.  Five-star fine dining.  Another place where The Patriarchy dug his scaly fingers in and refuses to let go.

:::shrugs:::

Wasn't my experience that the women outearned the men at either of my serving jobs, but I'll defer to your greater breadth of experience.

Whoops.  Self-pwnt.  "Crazy" was supposed to replace the original "easy" -- fixed it once, but not twice. 

In any case, I've never worked a serving job where I've earned as much as the waitresses.  Not once.  Even the worst of them outearned me.  And I was pretty good. 

Not to say all the waitresses were bad.  I worked with some phenomenal servers.  You feel less chapped about walking away with $50 less a night than those girls.  It's the airheads whose plates you carry out and whose tables you serve and clean and whose side duties you do and who stand by the bar chatting with "regulars" that they're not even serving all night -- THOSE are the ones that drive you nuts.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: March 20, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »
It's been pretty comparable places I've worked (provided that there were servers of both genders), but my experience is very casual dining, so I'm willing to believe that isn't the case normally.

Really?  This is weirding me out.

Are you both sure you're aware of what the male servers pulled in on average?  I found that most of the women that I worked with assumed that I was making about the same as they were.  This was almost never the case.

For the record, I worked everything from buffet-style dining through casual dining through to entry-level fine dining.

Edit:  LOLZ Afrikaans grammar pwn3d!!!

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: March 20, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »
Strange.  It used to drive me nuts, because I'd come in and work a closing shift, and four or five girls would work three hour shifts each and make more in those three hours than I made in my seven hours, despite the fact that I worked two more rushes than they did and rang out far more.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »
Oh.  Well, that doesn't count!   :D

Yeah, my only three consistent moneymakers:

1.  Bachelorette parties.  As long as one or two of them take a fancy to me, that is.
2.  Groups of older ladies (50+).  But not over 65.  Then the tips decrease drastically.
3.  Large groups headed by patriarchs looking to impress the table.  I'm pretty good with groups, and I know how to suck up to these guys.  And they're old enough and surrounded by enough frowning women that it doesn't bother them being served by the guy instead of all the sexy girls that abound at the restaurant.

Other than that, it's a complete toss-up, and I'd much rather pawn the table off on a female server who'll make a better tip than I will.