Law School Discussion

SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: I don't quite understand
« Reply #31140 on: December 30, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »
My bro has friends in law school in the area who are totally mad at me. :D  :-\ :-[

If my baby wasn't in the hospital I'd invite you and a few LS friends over for karaoke night at the Bear household. You could sing Alinis Morrissette songs while we glare at you behind your back. :)

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31141 on: December 30, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
how'd you guys find time to keep up on the casebook while working on hornbooks or E&E on the side?  do i need these supplements to do well?

E&E seems like it would be the best prep, but it's not like the reading is light.

Read quickly. Seriously. I didn't read hornbooks. I did use E&E in torts for a little while and found it a waste of time, but other people I know liked it. Professors all have their favorite approaches to the more difficult issues. It's better to learn theirs.

I used commercial outlines. It took me about 3-4 weeks to figure out how best to use them, though.

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31142 on: December 30, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »
Isn't it ironic! Don't you think!

Yeah, I really do think.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #31143 on: December 30, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
E&E seems like it would be the best prep, but it's not like the reading is light.

1.  E&E's read like brochures after a few weeks of law school
2.  STOP READING E&E'S.  Don't be that guy.

what's wrong with E&E?  it seems like it's really helpful for understanding a lot of the material.

what do you recommend?  who's that guy?

listen, i understand i'm a gunner, but i don't care.  if anyone wants to try to beat me, then go ahead.

nothing is wrong with E&E, they are great.  but you don't even know what classes you will be taking first semester, and you don't know what kind of final you are going to take.  calm down, go out, enjoy life.  get some perspective.  it'll help you way more than reading an E&E right now will.  there will come a time for them.  In the mean time, go relax dude.

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31144 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »
why are you guys so anti-gunner?  so a guy wants to learn the material ahead of time and understand a 100k investment.  why is that so bad?!

I don't think it is, but I think maybe you'll find that the time doesn't pay off. I know a couple friends who did the same thing and neither of them feels like it helped them. On the other hand, there's another guy who's lived & breathed Posner for at least a year and he thinks it's helped him a lot. Should be interesting to see if he feels the same way when grades come out.

GCoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #31145 on: December 30, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »
dude, you've got to be a joke.

poser wrote a law & econ textbook that goes through all the doctrinal subjects.

but seriously, stop it.  STOP IT.  what are you trying to achieve? 

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31146 on: December 30, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »
why did you buy commercial outlines rather than just downloading them off old students?

how do you use them?

Because commercial outlines are more likely to be correct, more thorough, and written in a way I can understand. You can buy them used for cheap.

I speed read the CB, found the corresponding section in the commercial outline to fill in the gaps, then went back to the text to highlight in case I got called on.

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31147 on: December 30, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »
Isn't it ironic! Don't you think!

Yeah, I really do think.

It rained on my wedding day. 

My friend called me and offered me a ride, but I already paid for the bus.

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31148 on: December 30, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
did you get a free ride after you already paid, too? (I like that color! Classy!

Gah! You beat me.

Papa Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #31149 on: December 30, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
what Posner should i pick up?

One that doesn't make you want to shoot yourself. I think he's nuts. It's funny to read the concurring opinions that come after his ramblings. I might be reading too much into them but I think I might see a hint of exasperation there.