Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 2 and Proud!  (Read 11486 times)

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Tier 2 and Proud!
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
Thanks bfree! To give an idea about how Carlisle compares...The transitional building there is actually quite nice, but the main drawback is that's it's right along a busy highway. They did a really good job of turning it into a more than suitable academic building though (I think it used to house a phone company or something). Also, the employment numbers seem to be on a definite upward trend. Remember that just a couple of years ago, PSU wasn't even in the top 100. They're rising quite quickly. I'm interested in seeing where they rank when the '07 rankings are released (I'm sure the 100M can't hurt).

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »
Which campus was that?

UPark.  Also don't sweat the horrible Beam building.  That's ancient and temporary.  It's a loaner from Smeal until the law buildings at UPark are complete.  The new buildings are going to be in the same geographic part of campus as Beam (give or take a block), but I have no idea what they're going to look like.  However, every single piece of construction that's happened at PSU in the past 10 years has been gorgeous both in form and function.  I'm sure the law buildings will be just the same.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:32 PM »
great thread guys, don't let it die as it was enough to make me give in and register for an account! Anyone looking at Penn State? They're one of the schools I'm seriously considering due to some "soft" factors, and has anyone visited the Rutgers-Newark Campus? I'm hopefully going to in the next few weeks, but I'd love to hear someones opinion.

I know some lawyers in PA who are angry at Penn State for splitting the campus into two halves.  It possesses a decent rep. in PA, but: a) there are better schools in PA where you can land a decent job in PA (outside of PA, I doubt the degree travels far, but it's mere conjecture on this point) b) Penn State is expensive c) as I stated above, I've heard lawyers comment their disgust with the school...whether that means they would be hesitant to hire a grad from there, I can't say.

A lot of the disgruntled lawyers are Dickinson alum who were upset years ago at the merger with PSU.  Now that PSU did the split campus and wanted to move the Carlisle campus to other buildings, these same lawyers are getting upset over losing their Dickinson identity and becoming more Nittany Lions and less Lawyers.  I wouldn't worry about that.  There are still plenty of PSU Alums and law firms who support PSU and will continue to do so.  In fact, even if Dickinson alums are disgruntled, I highly doubt they'll snub their alma mater during OCI even if they don't like having PSU written on the degrees now.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
I must say, I was disappointed not to see any other Baylor applicants in this thread.  It seems as though everyone on LSN applying to Baylor is aiming for T1+, and using Baylor as their safety, not a target.  Bummer. I wanted to meet people who actually want to go to Baylor, not feeling like they're relegated to attending Baylor or nowhere.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »
Accepted at Mizzou today!

Kind of shocked since I just went complete 1/9 and the letter was dated 1/11  :o

Mizzou-Rah!  Good job, ptown.  I went complete yesterday, so my kick in the arse should come soon.  You breed hope.  Yes, that's what you do.

Are you guys going to visit anytime soon? I'm thinking of planning a trip out there sometime in Feb. I wish they had an ASW...

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:39 PM »

Kind of shocked since I just went complete 1/9 and the letter was dated 1/11  :o

Mizzou-Rah!  Good job, ptown.  I went complete yesterday, so my kick in the arse should come soon.  You breed hope.  Yes, that's what you do.

Are you guys going to visit anytime soon? I'm thinking of planning a trip out there sometime in Feb. I wish they had an ASW...

I definately want to go visit sometime, but their lack of an ASW or open-house that I can find is a major obstacle.  It says you have to visit during business hours, and as both my wife and I work full-time days that is pretty much impossible.  Mizzou is a top contender for me though, so I need to visit fairly soon.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »

I definately want to go visit sometime, but their lack of an ASW or open-house that I can find is a major obstacle.  It says you have to visit during business hours, and as both my wife and I work full-time days that is pretty much impossible.  Mizzou is a top contender for me though, so I need to visit fairly soon.

I'm going to take 3 days off work and visit KU, UMKC, and Mizzou. None of these schools has an ASW. I guess I don't mind going a weekday in the middle of the semester.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »
UMKC had an open house a couple weeks ago.  I caught it, but just at the end.  Took a tour and talked to a few people. 

I wish Mizzou would have something similar, but on a saturday.  I didn't even apply to KU since it seems impossible to get residency there.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »
In at Seattle U. I'm in Tier 2 heaven, 4/4.  ;D
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2007, 04:32:55 AM »