Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 2 and Proud!  (Read 11613 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 2 and Proud!
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

This will be somewhat subjective, based on what I know from others, but looking at those ranked 51-100 I would say that people would agree with the following (I hope others will add to this list, as there are plenty more):

Baylor
Case Western
Cardozo
Villanova
University of Denver
University of Houston
DePaul
OU

The interesting thing is if you look, you will find that some of the T2s have a higher 25%-75% range than some T1s. 

I don't disagree with you but if you're saying Villanova, you should say Temple as well because the schools are almost indistinguishable in terms of LSAT/GPA percentiles, rank, and placement in the Philly area (Temple slightly ahead in the first two, Villanova with a tiny and shrinking advantage on the third).  Sure, Villanova was once ranked higher, but that still doesn't justify paying twice as much.

This is VERY credited with regards to Temple v. Villanova.  

Temple is only 14 grand for residents, and places well in PA.

kennybattle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
kennybattle: Marquette used to be a top 100 school?  Was it in the 90's?  I wasn't aware of this, but that's cool.

I think last year was the first time they didn't make the top 100.  I'd be surprised if they didn't make it back this year.
Marquette University Law School Class of 2010

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
Bump to keep the thread alive.

And you predicted it would die!    ;)

I'm glad to see the Tier 2 contingent is alive and well! 

Anyone going to DePaul's Open House next weekend?

I'm way out west, but I'm planning on attending the March 10th ASW if I haven't gotten into one of my reaches (fat chance) by then.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

bfree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
great thread guys, don't let it die as it was enough to make me give in and register for an account! Anyone looking at Penn State? They're one of the schools I'm seriously considering due to some "soft" factors, and has anyone visited the Rutgers-Newark Campus? I'm hopefully going to in the next few weeks, but I'd love to hear someones opinion.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2007, 03:29:16 PM »
bfree: I am also looking at PSU - they're actually my top choice right now. Do you have a campus preference?

BeachBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »
great thread guys, don't let it die as it was enough to make me give in and register for an account! Anyone looking at Penn State? They're one of the schools I'm seriously considering due to some "soft" factors, and has anyone visited the Rutgers-Newark Campus? I'm hopefully going to in the next few weeks, but I'd love to hear someones opinion.

Don't get your hopes up with the Rutgers-Newark campus.  Newark, NJ is considered somewhat ghetto and is said to be unsafe at night.  Penn State is a lot safer.

bfree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »
Definitely University Park for me. I've spent 4 years there already and it's a very solid college town, though it will lack some entertainment for law students who can't go out and get drunk 5 nights a week. I'm sure Carlisle is nice but Penn State is so high for me because of location to family and my fiancée goes to school there so no one would have to make a location change. I'm a little worried about the law building, since I'm sure Beam isn't the nicest building in the world, and certainly not up to the standards of new law school buildings, but it'll only be 1 year until the new building is complete. I'm just worried about the library, I have no idea where that is or any specifics about it. Are you going to the open house on either saturday or wednesday? I'll be able to give more detail after that obviously.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »

I know some lawyers in PA who are angry at Penn State for splitting the campus into two halves.  It possesses a decent rep. in PA, but: a) there are better schools in PA where you can land a decent job in PA (outside of PA, I doubt the degree travels far, but it's mere conjecture on this point) b) Penn State is expensive c) as I stated above, I've heard lawyers comment their disgust with the school...whether that means they would be hesitant to hire a grad from there, I can't say.

bfree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
Beach Boy- I agree Penn State is a lot safer, I'm just a little worried about employment opportunities. Rutgers is one of only 3 schools in NJ and they are all closely ranked, and I'd be willing to live there since I grew up in the north part of the state, but PSU is only the 4 or 5th best school in PA, so I'm worried finding a job will be really tough. On the other hand, the Penn State name is supposed to carry well, even if its more the overall university than the law school. Anyone think the new building will be enough to generate a significant raise the rankings for PSU? I also heard from my pre law advisor who says she is friendly with the admissions staff that they are going to try and really up their scores, and accept only people higher than their median, though who knows how accurate or realistic that is

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »
bfree: I'm actually leaning towards Carlisle (for similar personal reasons). I went to the open house there in November. Is the new UP building really going to be done in 1 year? I thought it was supposed to take longer than that.