Law School Discussion

NYC Housing

Re: NYC Housing
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:32:31 AM »
It's a shame you're not a woman. There are some incredibly affordable, safe, and well-located women's residences in NYC...but unfortunately, that won't help you much. That being said, if there are any women reading this post, I stayed at the Webster Apartments for a while, and it was a good arrangement. www.websterapartments.org

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
I will now make everyone despise me by reporting that I had a studio in Chelsea for under $1000/mo.  And I gave it up to go to law school in Michigan.

Finding a place in the city (particularly Manhattan, but in the other boroughs as well) is not easy.  Your best bet is to give yourself time to do a lot of legwork.  And be prepared to have your sense of what's reasonable destroyed for life.

Grr... I just wish Brooklyn wasn't so damn far away, even from NYU. If traveling by car were possible, I wouldn't care. But, it's not, so I do.

brooklyn isnt that far from nyu if you are near the L train.

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
Live in Jersey City. If you share a 2 bedroom, you'd probably only pay around $500-600 a month in rent. It's perfect to commute to SHU, RU-N, NYLS, NYU, and Cardozo via PATH- all of those except Rutgers are walking distance to a stop. For Fordham and Brooklyn, you can easily switch to the subway. For Columbia, your best bet is uptown, but it can be kind of sketch up there, so be careful.

Another good option might be Astoria or LIC. Slightly more expensive, but will put you directly at the subway if you prefer that to the PATH. Though the PATH is cheaper so I don't know why you would.

As far as Brooklyn, some of the closer in neighborhoods are as pricey as Manhattan. You can probably get a place for similar prices to JC in Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge- probably a solid half hour to the NYU/Cardozo area.

But if you're looking for a Hoboken or Williamsburg kind of place, come prepared with your checkbook because you won't be paying much less than you would in Manhattan.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
PATH- all of those except Rutgers are walking distance to a stop

how far is the walk from rutgers Newark?  :-\
would you have to get on a different form of PT once you got to newark to get to rutgers?
thanks  :)

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:59:49 AM »

Is it a female dog to transfer from the F to the L?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:16:24 AM »

Nope.  Easy as pie.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »

Nope.  Easy as pie.

Nice. My best friend lives right by the F in DUMBO... I wonder if I can find something there.

This is too much speculation. I'll stop thinking about this until I hear from CLS/NYU.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 12:13:40 PM »

Nope.  Easy as pie.

Nice. My best friend lives right by the F in DUMBO... I wonder if I can find something there.

This is too much speculation. I'll stop thinking about this until I hear from CLS/NYU.

DUMBO is absurdly expensive, as expensive as nice parts of Manhattan.

And if you're going to NYU / Cardozo, no reason to switch the the L, the F goes right by them.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
Thanks muffin and jason. If I were in DUMBO, I'd room with a friend in a pretty big 2 BR and split a little over $2k in rent. He lives right across from the bread factory. It smells weird sometimes. Anyway, this would only happen if his current roommate leaves.

I think I'm going to start saying "flatmate" so I sound like a pretentious prick. I'll also start calling the elevator the "lift" and pronounce vitamin as vee-ta-men.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 01:07:53 PM »
Thanks muffin and jason. If I were in DUMBO, I'd room with a friend in a pretty big 2 BR and split a little over $2k in rent. He lives right across from the bread factory. It smells weird sometimes. Anyway, this would only happen if his current roommate leaves.

I think I'm going to start saying "flatmate" so I sound like a pretentious prick. I'll also start calling the elevator the "lift" and pronounce vitamin as vee-ta-men.

My friend, you're an engineer.  I'd say the odds are that you already sound like a pretentious prick.

(I'm sorry, it was just irressistible.  You know I love you.)