Law School Discussion

Will the ABA go back on the highest score decision

Will the ABA go back on the highest score decision
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:25:55 AM »
Ok, so I realize that no one actually knows the true answer to this question but I was just wondering what you all think.  I am going to be taking the LSAT in either February or June (or both) and am trying to decide what to do.  I know that the ABA has just decided to go with the highest score but my question is: Do you think that decision is going to stick for the next 3+ years? 

The only reason I ask is because while I am taking the LSAT this year, I know that I will not be going to law school for about 3 years because I will be gone serving in the Peace Corps.  Basically, if it is a possibility that the ABA may return to averaging then I should just wait and not risk a lower score because I haven't prepared as much as I would like.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Will LSAC go back on the highest score decision
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
It's actually the ABA policy's of accepting the higher score, not LSAC. 

I have no idea, but just wanted to let you know that it'll be better to google ABA policies not LSAC policies.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, I will change it in the op.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
The main question is why are you taking the LSAT now if you're not applying for the next 3 years?  If you wait too long to apply, you'll have to take the test again as many schools require a score from within the last 3 years.  Also, waiting would give you more time to study (though I understand it would be extremely difficult to study well while slaving away in a third world country).

Re: Will the ABA go back on the highest score decision
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »
Although I don't necessiarily agree with your view of "slaving away" the last part of your post answered the question.  I think it would be extremely difficult for me to study while I am in Africa.  However, if I do horribly both times now then I plan to retake when I get back.

Most schools will take scores that are 5 years old.  There is only one school in the t14 that takes scores from less and even then it is 3 years.  Basically, I don't want to have to worry about it while I'm over there and I would like to be able to come back and get started right away in the admissions cycle.  With my current projected departure date, I would be returning in september which would mean that I would have to take the september test to qualify for the admissions cycle that year (one shot after being gone 2 years just isn't appealing).

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
The main question is why are you taking the LSAT now if you're not applying for the next 3 years?  If you wait too long to apply, you'll have to take the test again as many schools require a score from within the last 3 years.  Also, waiting would give you more time to study (though I understand it would be extremely difficult to study well while slaving away in a third world country).

What schools want last three years?  I am pretty sure it is five at most schools.
Taking the test while you are still in school is the best thing to do.  You sure as hell wont have time to study while you are in the peace corps.  When do you leave?  If you don't feel ready for Feb and you can wait for June I would do that.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
Although I don't necessiarily agree with your view of "slaving away" the last part of your post answered the question.  I think it would be extremely difficult for me to study while I am in Africa.  However, if I do horribly both times now then I plan to retake when I get back.

Most schools will take scores that are 5 years old.  There is only one school in the t14 that takes scores from less and even then it is 3 years.  Basically, I don't want to have to worry about it while I'm over there and I would like to be able to come back and get started right away in the admissions cycle.  With my current projected departure date, I would be returning in september which would mean that I would have to take the september test to qualify for the admissions cycle that year (one shot after being gone 2 years just isn't appealing).

Hahaha, I didn't mean slaving away in the pejorative sense.  I've had volunteer experience in Africa as well and loved it, even though at times it very much did feel like slaving away.  Which country will you be assigned to?  I was in Kenya.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »
It sounds like you're set on your course.  Take the LSAT in February or June, as you will, save the world, and get into Yale in three years.

Simple.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:36:38 AM »
Na, I knew what you were talking about city slicker I just had to give you a hard time, lol.  We haven't been assigned a specific country yet.  Everything with the Peace Corps takes forever until the end where it sounds like you get an assignment (date, time, place) about a month before you leave.  But it seems like we will probably be somewhere on the west cost because we were told we had to take some french classes.  But that could just be standard issue for anyone they send to Africa I'm not sure.  Should know more in about a month.  We are supposedly leaving sometime in July.  Thanks for the interest though.  That is awesome that you were in Kenya!

And Yale is only a dream.  A pipe dream based on my diagnostic LSATs so far, lol.  Hopefully the bibles will get me up there where I want/need to be.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
Why can't you go from Feb to June?