Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: xoxohth - WOW!  (Read 11624 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
xoxohth - WOW!
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:21:30 AM »
After reading some of the hype about xoxo on this site I decided to take a look at xoxo myself. It can't be that bad, I thought.

All I have to say is - wow! Those guys are the most pretentious, smug, idiotic bastards I have ever encountered!!! Where do they get off ridiculing LSD for reinforcing someone with a 159 LSAT? Or calling Hasting and GW TTTs? There is a reason why Harvard and Yale are not the only law schools in the country!

And the racial comments? Give me a break! I get the feeling that the only ones to get on xoxo are annoying little prep kids who have been handed everything on a silver platter. And now that they're in law school, obviously without a worry in the world, they have too much time on their hands so they just spit racial slur wherever they can.

But you know what, I was truly offended! Not because I am a member of one of the ridiculed minority groups, or even because those idiots are allowed to attend a respectable institution for the study of law. I was offended because I kept thinking that one day, when I'm in law school, those morons will be attending with me, hiding their disdain for anyone other then their fellow over-privileged prep kids.

And frankly, that thought scares the *&^% out of me!
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
Re: xoxohth - WOW!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:24:16 AM »
tagg
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:14 AM »
All I have to say is - wow! Those guys are the most pretentious, smug, idiotic bastards I have ever encountered!!!
Do you mean prestigious? Seriously, though, xoxo is largely a joke. People create characters known as schticks, and all sorts of various other things. Most of the time, people just aren't being serious. But yes, there is a lot of elitism and the standard racism, homophobia, etc.

Zinfandel

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:46:27 AM »
And the racial comments? Give me a break! I get the feeling that the only ones to get on xoxo are annoying little prep kids who have been handed everything on a silver platter. And now that they're in law school, obviously without a worry in the world, they have too much time on their hands so they just spit racial slur wherever they can.

This is certainly not true of most XOXOers although it is true of me. Most of the posters there come from middle (not even upper-middle) class households. Quite a few attended college outside of the top ten (if that is even possible). It's these low class posters who spit the racial slurs; the prep school kids are actually really normal.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
All I have to say is - wow! Those guys are the most pretentious, smug, idiotic bastards I have ever encountered!!!
Do you mean prestigious?

:D :D :D :D
Yale.Law.School.2010

wiiiiiii

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »
After reading some of the hype about xoxo on this site I decided to take a look at xoxo myself. It can't be that bad, I thought.

All I have to say is - wow! Those guys are the most pretentious, smug, idiotic bastards I have ever encountered!!! Where do they get off ridiculing LSD for reinforcing someone with a 159 LSAT? Or calling Hasting and GW TTTs? There is a reason why Harvard and Yale are not the only law schools in the country!

But you know what, I was truly offended! Not because I am a member of one of the ridiculed minority groups, or even because those idiots are allowed to attend a respectable institution for the study of law. I was offended because I kept thinking that one day, when I'm in law school, those morons will be attending with me, hiding their disdain for anyone other then their fellow over-privileged prep kids.

And frankly, that thought scares the sh*t out of me!

get a sense of humor

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »
Do you mean prestigious? Seriously, though, xoxo is largely a joke. People create characters known as schticks, and all sorts of various other things. Most of the time, people just aren't being serious. But yes, there is a lot of elitism and the standard racism, homophobia, etc.

Even if they are "personas"... there is truth in every joke.  To know that their brand of bigotry goes unnoticed (as they quietly "play the game" through law school and through the ranks of their firms) it will surely show at some point.  That point will probably only be realized however, when they are in the highest positions of power and rarely questioned. 
Yale 2010

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:47 AM »

This is certainly not true of most XOXOers although it is true of me. Most of the posters there come from middle (not even upper-middle) class households. Quite a few attended college outside of the top ten (if that is even possible). It's these low class posters who spit the racial slurs; the prep school kids are actually really normal.

Wait, did you just say that you have nothing better to do with your time than to spit out racial slurs?

jps584736

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »
Unless these posters are super-rich and well-connected, I doubt they'll ever be successful in their legal careers.  Most lawyers have to work in teams with other lawyers now.  At times, you even have to deal with clients and non-lawyers who want every little explanation for every decision you make.  Temperment is something a lawyer has to have.  Those are qualities, quite frankly, that lawyers always needed.

I don't think these are smug prep-school kids.  Rather, I think they're insecure nerds with no social life whose only strength in life is doing well on tests.  Since they're so depressed about their life, they go on this board to mock others on the one advantage they have, scoring well on tests like the LSAT.  But when they go into the real world, watch out. 

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »

And frankly, that thought scares the sh*t out of me!

What you should really be scared of is that after 1L, you'll be just like those posters. UBERRPWN3D, TITCream!!!!