Law School Discussion

Why is there a different board for minorities?

Why is there a different board for minorities?
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:25:40 PM »
Just curious.

A.

• View Profile
Re: Why is there a different board for minorities?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:37:14 AM »
Curiosity killed the cat.

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »
Look at the number of minorities in the legal profession, specifically Black attorneys, and that might give you a little insight as to why there is a separate board for minorities. Its not a racial thing, but more of a group of people who have a lot of things in common in terms of law school admissions, challenges once we are in the legal profession, etc. 

If you are a "majority" (i.e. White male) individual, I am not saying that you are privileged by any means, but there are certainly different challenges/obstacles that minorities will and do face in the legal profession. 

Hope that answers your question, but feel free to stick around and join our conversations where you see fit.  Welcome!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »
The term "minoroty" is vauge and ambiguous these days and does not hold the same meaning it once did when it was "coined."

Honestly, why is there a "Black Law Student Discussion Board" and no other board specifically addressing other "minority" groups (e.g., Latino, Hispanic, African (real African's [not psudeo "African-Americans" with absolutely zero African lineage], et al.)?

I am not trying to flame or anything, but am tired of the concepts of minority, ethnicity, and affirmative action in this country.

Look at the number of minorities in the legal profession, specifically Black attorneys

I would like to look at this, but not from the "minority" perspective, but rather from the perspective of why do not more blacks (or other "minoroty" groups) apply to law school? that is the question we should be answering.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:07 AM »
other ethnic groups did not ask.. press or rally for a board of their own.. there's your answer.. the bottom line is this..the important threads that apply to black minority students would not easily be found on the main board.. and there are so many black students that do not have access (as in they don't even know where to begin to search)  to some of these resources that we have tried to put together a medium where they can get the help and answers to questions that they need..

consider this a small role being played in helping to create more black attorneys...

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »
I am not trying to flame or anything, but am tired of the concepts of minority, ethnicity, and affirmative action in this country.

Then you probably don't really understand any of them.

Case in point:

Look at the number of minorities in the legal profession, specifically Black attorneys

I would like to look at this, but not from the "minority" perspective, but rather from the perspective of why do not more blacks (or other "minoroty" groups) apply to law school? that is the question we should be answering.

Seriously.  I hope you're here for real information, to learn.  I have this sneaky feeling in my gut, however, that no matter how someone answers this question, you've already made up your mind.

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:13:29 AM »
I concur....if the women, Puerto Rican, Asian, Mexican, Latino, African, Indian, blue, green, etc. groups would have demanded and rallied for their own board just as the Black students have, they would have their own board.

I agree that if you tried to understand what it means to be a "minority" you may not be tired of the concept of a "minority" because guess what, its not a concept....it is a reality.  Please check the statistics on the "cultural" makeup of the legal profession. I am not going to take the time to post them on here.

And who said anything affirmative action??  Sorry that you are tired of the concepts of minority, ethnicity and affirmative acion in this country, but you might want to live on another one of the planets because its reality.  MY reality and YOUR reality.

The End

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »
I said I was tired with the CURRENT CONCEPT OF "minority" and "affirmative action"... Back in the day these things were needed because of blatant discrimination on certain ethnic groups.

The reason I said, "why do not more blacks (or other "minoroty" groups) apply to law school" is because I was reading an article in one of the BAR Journals/Newspapers last month that specifically addressed the issue of certain minority groups and their passage rate of the BAR exam. There is an obvious disparity. The article wanted to address the issue further but could not adequately research it because the BAR in most states do not release passage rates in conjunction with race and sex information.

The concept of being a minority is not new to me and I have lived in many places where I was the minority. nothing like being called the "white" version of the "N" word.. feels very good..

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »
The reason I said, "why do not more blacks (or other "minoroty" groups) apply to law school" is because I was reading an article in one of the BAR Journals last month that specifically addressed the issued of certain minority groups and their passage rate of the BAR exam. The article wanted to address the issue but could not adequately research it because the BAR in this state does not release passage rates in conjunction with race and sex information.

And the concept of being a minority is not new to me for I have lived in many places where I was literally a minority. There's nothing like being called the "white" version of the "N" word on a regular basis.

So then please explain your first statement in this thread.  I'm curious (and honestly not flame-baiting).

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:35:27 AM »
So then please explain your first statement in this thread.  I'm curious (and honestly not flame-baiting).

About what, Affirmative Action?

In the case of colleges I think that affirmative action does not work and has turned into a quota system. I feel colleges are more inclined to admit URM's who do have not have the qualifications soley based on their ethnicity when there are other, more qualified people.

Obviously and as with everyting, there are exceptions.

The military is the same way, especially when it comes to recruiting.. Recruiters have to recruit people and are rewarded for placing URM's in certain jobs, especially high-tech ones..

Employers, especially federal and state gov't jobs, function the same way and are even worse.

it would be great to interview people for a job without knowing their name, their gender, or their ethnicity and then base the highering decision soley on their qualifications. This way, there would be no question as to how the person obtained the job.