Law School Discussion

law school - government jobs

Grace

law school - government jobs
« on: July 15, 2003, 05:34:34 PM »
If my career goal is to work for the Department of Justice/federal government, does that mean I should go to a law school in D.C.? WHen I am researching law schools, should I look at what percentage of graduates go into government service, or should I just go to the best ranked law school I can get into?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: law school - government jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 10:36:54 AM »
Grace,
A lttle from column A and a little from Column B:

Getting into a high ranked school (great reputation) will land you some of the best jobs)

Hoever looking at whom has the best turn out of gobv't positions may help you land a job more easily although it may not pay as well as maybe a fairly higher reputable law school (hypothetical example of extremes)

Say that Yeshiva (Cardozo) has a good gov't turn out (check STATS on http://www.lsac.org  But they are ranked give or take around low first tier high second tier (80-90th) according to US news and World report http://www.usnews.com

However say a place like Stanford has an exceptional turn out of gov't jobs but not as good as Yeshiva in terms of actual graduates percentage of school.  However for those that do go to a high ranked school (1st-4th) USNEWS like this one, will receive a better salary even though it will not be offered to quite as many graduates.

So you see it all depends on what you are striving for. You want a govt position most definitely go to a place that has high turn out at probably lower pay (there is an exception to every rule) .  Or do you want to work your a$$ off and graduate form an IVY league law school which then in the top 50% you should find better paying gov't jobs. Or graduate in top 10% and find whatever gov't job you would like (pressumably) Hope this helps you out in your search.  Good luck and have a good day!  ;D

beninoregon

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 08:46:59 AM »
Something to remember if you are planning on a government job:

They dont pay as well as private sector jobs.  What this means IS... debt is an even more important factor than usual.  I am going to law school to work in the public sector, too, and when I was faced with a decision between a high prestige school that would cost me 30k a year and a middle-high prestige school that gave me a very generous scholarship, I went with the scholarship.

CaliLaw

• AOL Instant Messenger - LaSaan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 08:54:18 AM »
Ben,

Quick question: is it true D.A.s make about 35k coming out(starting)? And is it also true that people opt to be a D.A. because of its prestige and also because it is the best way to work up to a judge?

I do not know anything about this issue but would like some insight. Thanks.

-Cyrus

beninoregon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 07:08:21 AM »
Well, as far as your earnings estimate goes, that looks about right from the DAs Ive talked with. As for the WHY... I can't really answer that.  I don't like to answer questions unless I have a pretty good idea.  Wouldn't want to lead you in the wrong direction, so maybe somebody else knows.  I do think that the majority of judges probably were prosecutors at some point.  But that may just be my own misconception. ;)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »
If I get into my top picks (Loyola Marymount, USD) I'll go private sector because I want to pay off debt.  But if I end up going to my safeties, Chapman or Roger Williams, then I'll try for a Direct Commission to O-3 with the Coast Guard.  O-3's start out around 65k-70k. 

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:06:52 AM »
This is like the tenth time today that someone has bumped a random unnecessary thread from eight years ago .. read the date!

Bouzie1982

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »

Question.   How psosible is it to take a high paying job out of school to pay off loans and save some money and then transition to public service/govt jobs?????

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »

Question.   How psosible is it to take a high paying job out of school to pay off loans and save some money and then transition to public service/govt jobs?????

i dont know, but that is my plan...

Bouzie1982

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »

i dont know, but that is my plan...

Im glad that I'm not in this alone.  Im dedicated to policy and govt but I also dont want to be burdened by ridiculous loan payments.  It might also be nice to be able to save up for a large downpayment on a condo.  Being naturally drawn to expensive urban areas sucks.