Personal Statement Workshop

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Personal Statement Workshop
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
I like it, but, had he enough $ for a library, would the family really be upper middle class?  I'd have to abandon the whole "marrying up" theme, which I thought was a really solid point for admission.

Oh, true. 

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »
Ok, I have a really interesting formatting idea for my ps: I will write two drafts of one essay. I will write the first draft blind folded and the second draft with my toes.

How much space should I put between the two drafts?

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,79969.0/topicseen.html

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
Obviously one toe width apart.

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 07:22:48 AM »
bump.

we need more workshopping in this thread.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
Need some personality workshopping here:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,80061.msg1903600/topicseen.html#new

I'm new here.  One person was mean to me about not attending a T14.  I'm now starting a club to arbitrarily be mean to anyone with an LSAT over 160.

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
Starting this thread a few days before shutting down the the other = genius.

It should be noted that this is a completely different thread however.

Yet another thread is under construction, but the key is keeping the riff-raff out.

Gretchen W.

• Currently exercising my secret power
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 07:28:58 AM »
Wow, I didn't read this thread but I could tell how helpful it would be from the title. Here's the first paragraph of my ps:

I was born in a rundown shack in a bad part of town. My mom was a poor single woman who ended up abandoning me at the nearest fire station. It tore me up for a long time deep down inside to think of the squalid and difficult life I would have had if my birth mother hadn't given me up. Yet, I know the decision was probably difficult for her as she would likely have been eligible for additional federal programs had she kept me. My goal in becoming a lawyer is to change the way our federal aid is dispursed, so that no young mother should ever have difficulty making a choice to give her baby up to better, richer parents. In my federal aid program young mothers will be given 10k for doing the right thing and sending their beautiful but poor babies on to better, happier and more prestigious lives. 

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »
Wow, I didn't read this thread but I could tell how helpful it would be from the title. Here's the first paragraph of my ps:

I was born in a rundown shack in a bad part of town. My mom was a poor single woman who ended up abandoning me at the nearest fire station. It tore me up for a long time deep down inside to think of the squalid and difficult life I would have had if my birth mother hadn't given me up. Yet, I know the decision was probably difficult for her as she would likely have been eligible for additional federal programs had she kept me. My goal in becoming a lawyer is to change the way our federal aid is dispursed, so that no young mother should ever have difficulty making a choice to give her baby up to better, richer parents. In my federal aid program young mothers will be given 10k for doing the right thing and sending their beautiful but poor babies on to better, happier and more prestigious lives. 

Honestly, it is tough to improve on that.

Gretchen W.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »

Honestly, it is tough to improve on that.

Wow, thanks, I did get an A in my freshman writing composition class.

Gretchen W.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 09:29:47 AM »
Maybe you could write a diversity statement about how hard it is to be beautiful? I think it would compliment your PS nicely.

Hmm, I did think of that, but I'm very modest and not sure that I'm quite beautiful enough. I've done some pageants, but I'm always runner up.