Law School Discussion

"On Hold" at Harvard

Re: "On Hold" at Harvard
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
Does anyone know about what % of held people end up being accepted? Thanks

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »
Um I'm more than a little surprised that the people who got the e-mails got them at all - from the looks of LSN, most everybody who got held has fantastic numbers.  I'm just confused about this whole business!  ???

My numbers (esp. lsat) aren't necessarily up to Harvard's standards which is why I'm excited. 

Hey, my numbers are quite similar. Maybe there's hope for my ass being held yet.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
Could anyone paste the text of the hold letter? Thanks

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »
tag, due to me new obsession with Harvard. 

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
Held here.

If Goalie (who's like my hotter and smarter sister) was held, there was no way in hell I was going up!

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
Held here.

If Goalie (who's like my hotter and smarter sister) was held, there was no way in hell I was going up!

Oh please! Don't make me remind everyone about your Darrow  ;)

Maybe we can all get a desk to hang out under like those Michigan kids. That sounded like fun.

Maybe we could hang out at the Hong Kong and drink Scorpion Bowls.  THAT would make the wait more enjoyable!

Red Bull Imperator

• Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
Held here.

Oh please! Don't make me remind everyone about your Darrow  ;)

Maybe we can all get a desk to hang out under like those Michigan kids. That sounded like fun.

Maybe we could hang out at the Hong Kong and drink Scorpion Bowls.  THAT would make the wait more enjoyable!

Oh man! Okay, maybe we should actually all go to Harvard after all. I forgot about those Scorpion Bowls. Can we still hang out at the Kong as grad students? Because that place is so sweet....

Someone mentioned Scorpion Bowls? Brain freeze! Brain freeze! aaaargh

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »
Could anyone paste the text of the hold letter? Thanks

Dear Mr. Reach:

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and has decided to hold it for further review.  Although we regret the immediate uncertainty this entails, the purpose of holding applications is to ensure that each application receives thorough and fair consideration.  Once a larger portion of the applicant pool has been reviewed, the Committee will decide whether to admit, wait-list, or deny individual applications that have been placed on hold.  These decisions may be made at any time between now and late spring.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict the next decision on your application or the timing of that decision.  Our experience shows that the number of applications on hold varies significantly from year to year as do the proportions that are offered admission, wait-listed, or denied.  Therefore, historical information provides no predictive value on individual applications.

A hold decision provides an opportunity to update and supplement your file.  You may wish to submit relevant materials that you would like included in the continuing review of your application.  For example, if you have received additional grades since submitting your transcripts to LSDAS, please send them directly to our office (when making decisions on applicants who are currently enrolled in a degree program, we expect to see the most updated grades possible).  If obtaining a transcript will delay our receipt of these grades, send us the information and have it confirmed with an official transcript as soon as one is available.  Additional letters of recommendation are welcome.  If you have a special interest in attending Harvard or in being located in Cambridge, please feel free to tell us about that as well.  Any new information that you feel might be helpful is appropriate.  All correspondence to our office should include your LSDAS registration number or Social Security
  number and be signed by you.

We will make final decisions as soon as possible.  However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at a law school to which you have been offered admission [emphasis added = thanks for the advice, Harvard] while the final disposition of your application to Harvard Law School remains unknown. 

Thank you for your patience and for your interest.  We will contact you as soon as the next decision on your application has been made.

Sincerely,
Karen Buttenbaum
Associate Director of Admissions

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
Thanks a lot

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »
No problem you two.  And mpark?  It's not quite time to worry yet!