Law School Discussion

"On Hold" at Harvard

Sooner

• View Profile
Re: "On Hold" at Harvard
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
Yeah, the GPA thing seemed to be the reason why HLS dropped below SLS in the rankings last year. There doesn't seem to be much hope for mediocre GPA candidates at any stage of the process, but especially after being deferred. I wish I hadn't gotten those Fs my freshman year.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 09:44:36 AM »
There doesn't seem to be much hope for mediocre GPA candidates at any stage of the process, but especially after being deferred.

i agree with the after being deferred part, but the reason why HLS' GPA needed increasing was because it was low to start off with. chances are they let in quite a few "mediocre" (still high compared to mine) GPAs with high LSATs initially and then had to counter it with accepting only high GPAs off the held applicants.

spud1987

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
I just got the Hold email too.  Does anyone know if this is just an eventual rejection or do I have some hope?

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 10:02:40 AM »
Yeah, the GPA thing seemed to be the reason why HLS dropped below SLS in the rankings last year. There doesn't seem to be much hope for mediocre GPA candidates at any stage of the process, but especially after being deferred. I wish I hadn't gotten those Fs my freshman year.

Crap, that's bad news for me.  I'm 177/3.41 nontrad, hoping to sneak in there.  Every time I see someone get accepted with a 172/3.9, I keep hoping they'll need someone like me to balance that out.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »
I also received the HOLD email from Harvard this morning (and never received a phone call email, etc).

Well, it certainly is better than a rejection. And I'm pretty happy I received even a hold. Hooray for small victories.

Edit: From what LSD and LSN tells us, I think we're all in good company. Cheers!

Hey, glad you got some "good" news too.  The deal's still on though, okay?

Most definitely. We'll see how this ride ends.

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 10:22:36 AM »
No hold here...I'd be waiting for the big R, but (still) nobody complete after 10/26 has gotten the e-mail.  I can't believe that some of you weren't accepted outright!

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
For those of you thinking about sending in some supplemental material...

How are you going to go about it?
The email mentions submitting a "Why Harvard?" type statement, transcript, and letters of recommendation. While it gives specific instructons for the first two, I'm a little confused about the last-If I submit another LOR, should I do it through LSAC or have it sent straight to the Harvard Admissions office? Any advice?

spud1987

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 12:21:03 PM »
For those of you thinking about sending in some supplemental material...

How are you going to go about it?
The email mentions submitting a "Why Harvard?" type statement, transcript, and letters of recommendation. While it gives specific instructons for the first two, I'm a little confused about the last-If I submit another LOR, should I do it through LSAC or have it sent straight to the Harvard Admissions office? Any advice?

I'm going to tell my recommender to submit my LOR directly to the school.  Based on the text of the email, I think this would be appropriate.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »
Held :(

spud1987

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »
Um I'm more than a little surprised that the people who got the e-mails got them at all - from the looks of LSN, most everybody who got held has fantastic numbers.  I'm just confused about this whole business!  ???

My numbers (esp. lsat) aren't necessarily up to Harvard's standards which is why I'm excited.