Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Isn't Fordham Ranked Higher?  (Read 5288 times)

dutchwhiffleball

• View Profile
Why Isn't Fordham Ranked Higher?
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:58:43 AM »
Why Isn't Fordham ranked higher?

Competitive LSAT scores, great placement rate, great location, etc. Why isn't Fordham ranked higher?
My chain hangs low
it wobble to teh flo

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why Isn't Fordham Ranked Higher?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:38 AM »
Why Isn't Fordham ranked higher?

Competitive LSAT scores, great placement rate, great location, etc. Why isn't Fordham ranked higher?

Placement outside of NYC? Spending on students/facilities? 3rd best school in its market (and way down the line if you count all the T14s and some of the T20 ahead of it)? Faculty? Just guesses.
Penn Law '09

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
Personally, the only reason, I feel, Fordham is ranked so high is bc it's in NY.  For ppl who want to be in NY and can't get into CLS or NYU, Fordham is the next bet especially for NYC biglaw.
Columbia 3L

BonesMcJones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
A big part of US News' system involves a schools reputation as determined by their annual survey.  Fordham, despite being in the top 15 for LSAT and having good job placement in NYC, always receives a reputation score lower than the 15-30 schools.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
I think it has to do with not having as widespread a reputation as some of the higher ranked schools. Fordham places mostly in NYC, where as the rest of the 15-30 might place in more than one major city. For instance, a bunch of the mid-western state schools may place in say, Chicago AND Minneapolis, or BU in Boston AND NYC. Therefore, it's name is less well known outside of the city, and would have a lower repuation score.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:17 PM »
Fordham is more about location than quality. They focus pretty exclusively on BigLaw in NYC. Fordham isn't even "regional" so much as "city-specific". It's tough for Fordham grads to move even within the northeast corridor... Boston, DC, etc.

They do what they do: place ambitious, moderately talented gunners in big firms with big salaries and even bigger annual hour expectations. Everything else is incidental at Fordham.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:20:22 AM »
I don't know much about Fordham, but it seems like it still has a regional reputation.  While it scores high, it won't rank higher until it gets more of a national reputation.  I think that there are a lot of schools like that-UC Davis, BYU, Minnesota....

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »
I don't know much about Fordham, but it seems like it still has a regional reputation.  While it scores high, it won't rank higher until it gets more of a national reputation.  I think that there are a lot of schools like that-UC Davis, BYU, Minnesota....

it's all about the rep scores which are 40% of the usnews system, fordham has great numbers but national rep has always lagged behind schools like nd, w&l, and emory. really does not make a difference if one wants to be in nyc as the vast majority of fordham gards do, but it definitely hurts them in a national ranking system.
Emory '09

lizette112162

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 01:44:19 AM »
Well, according to the new ranking Fordham made a huge leap from 32- 25 that is a 7 point difference...With time it will get the recongnition it deserves

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 07:44:01 AM »
Well, according to the new ranking Fordham made a huge leap from 32- 25 that is a 7 point difference...With time it will get the recongnition it deserves

From what I understand, the quality of the Fordham faculty is a lot lower than most of the 15-30 schools and ultimately that's not going to change unless the school hires some bigger names or the current faculty gets more recognition.