Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship question  (Read 606 times)

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scholarship question
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »
I am taking the Feb 10 LSAT but was looking at some of the schools I would like to attend and noticed that they mostly stop offering money in Dec/Jan.  Will they offer the scholarships that aren't taken by people going somewhere else to others such as myself late in the cycle?  I have the money for LS, but someone else picking up part of the tab would be nice.  I have contemplated postponing for a year if I could qualify for a scholarship.  what do you think?
University of Oklahoma '11

db2ur

Re: Scholarship question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
I am taking the Feb 10 LSAT but was looking at some of the schools I would like to attend and noticed that they mostly stop offering money in Dec/Jan.  Will they offer the scholarships that aren't taken by people going somewhere else to others such as myself late in the cycle?  I have the money for LS, but someone else picking up part of the tab would be nice.  I have contemplated postponing for a year if I could qualify for a scholarship.  what do you think?

Postponing for a year will give you time to work on your LSAT.  If you have only taken three practice LSATs, I would concentrate on that first.  Pick up copies of the Powerscore Bibles (Logic Games and Logical Reasoning) and take the June LSAT.  You'll have much more time to polish you applications, and will likely get into better schools. Your score will likely imporve with practice, and, with rolling admissions, the early bird gets the worm.

Also, a few point bump on the LSAT will make a world of difference in the schools into which you are accepted.

All of this is a long way of saying I'd cancel the Feb. test (so as not to have an LSAT score on record that is less than your best), study hard for June, and apply next cycle.

Best of luck, PM me if you have a question!

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:50:33 PM »
Also, a few point bump on the LSAT will make a world of difference in the schools into which you are accepted.

All of this is a long way of saying I'd cancel the Feb. test (so as not to have an LSAT score on record that is less than your best), study hard for June, and apply next cycle.

I agree, a 149 wont get a lot of scholarship money from what I've seen.  And I'm not looking at t-14 like most of the people here.  Although, if you have the money for law school what's the big deal.  People who don't have the $$ could use the scholarship more IMHO

db2ur

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »

I agree, a 149 wont get a lot of scholarship money from what I've seen.  And I'm not looking at t-14 like most of the people here.  Although, if you have the money for law school what's the big deal.  People who don't have the $$ could use the scholarship more IMHO

The big deal/dirty secret is that it does matter where you go.  It's a lot of money to spend on school.  Without going into the endless rationales, just make sure it's worth it.

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 02:09:43 AM »

The big deal/dirty secret is that it does matter where you go.  It's a lot of money to spend on school.  Without going into the endless rationales, just make sure it's worth it.

And with a 149 "good schools" will be few and far between depending on what type of law happy is looking for...most kinds really.  I would postpone for the LSAT and not so much for scholarship $, although the two go hand in hand I suppose.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:57:10 AM »
Postpone.  Study.  Score well on the LSAT.  Apply in October next year.  Reap the rewards.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:36:45 AM »
Postpone.  Study.  Score well on the LSAT.  Apply in October next year.  Reap the rewards.

I need to learn to write that concisely.  :)
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:03:09 PM »

I need to learn to write that concisely.  :)

It's ironic.  I'm actually extremely verbose.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I understand what all of you are saying about waiting and taking June, but I have been studying passively for months and intensively for the past 3 weeks.  Every day during the week and long hours during the weekend.  My two preptests were months ago and I feel that I am peaking out based on timed sections that I have been working on.  I worked through LGB twice and just finished the LRB and I can honestly say that MORE months of studying and delaying isn't going to help me.  I constantly get 6-9 wrong on both LR sections and the games are a crap shoot.  I don't want to go to a tier 1 school, my state has 3 schools and I would be just fine staying here.    I am perfectly happy scoring in the mid 150's and a perfectly good T3 and T4 school will throw money at you with a mid 150 score. 

My original question about scholarship money was never answered. Does anyone know if scholarships that are not taken are then passed down?     

University of Oklahoma '11

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
I understand what all of you are saying about waiting and taking June, but I have been studying passively for months and intensively for the past 3 weeks.  Every day during the week and long hours during the weekend.  My two preptests were months ago and I feel that I am peaking out based on timed sections that I have been working on.  I worked through LGB twice and just finished the LRB and I can honestly say that MORE months of studying and delaying isn't going to help me.  I constantly get 6-9 wrong on both LR sections and the games are a crap shoot.  I don't want to go to a tier 1 school, my state has 3 schools and I would be just fine staying here.    I am perfectly happy scoring in the mid 150's and a perfectly good T3 and T4 school will throw money at you with a mid 150 score. 

My original question about scholarship money was never answered. Does anyone know if scholarships that are not taken are then passed down?     

Yeah, but chances are you will have to ask.  Once you get in and get your original offer you send a letter asking for more.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...