Law School Discussion

Need some advice/honest criticism, etc.....

dcgirl

Re: Need some advice/honest criticism, etc.....
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Hi,

It's just related to the LSAT ironically. Does she need to get a prescription for a beta blocker?

Does she have trouble comprehending things normally or is it just related to the LSAT? If that's the case, a beta blocker may be helpful since it will stop the physical symptoms of anxiety and may allow her to calm down and focus more.

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
Not to be rude, but she would stop reading your post right after this sentence- "I respect your friend's tenacity, but..." so I should have pointed out when I started my thread to not waste time w/comments like this.

All of what you have just said has been said to her by many people (family, friends, strangers, etc.,) and she doesn't listen to people like you. No pun intended.

I'm looking for advice on how to help her not advice on how to be negative & tell she can't do it.

I respect your friend's tenacity, but I think there's got to come a point where she stops taking the test.  LSAC only lets you take three every two years anyway, and if your friend is applying to law school, a load of repeated scores that are mostly the same will hurt her more than help her.  Sure, the scores will disappear after five years, but that's a long time.

This is a really hard test, and I think that everyone has a score-ceiling that they can't break through, as frustrating as it might be.  It might be time to work on accepting that.  There's no shame in letting the score she's got stand after the Feb. test.  Any reason she doesn't just wait until June when she can at least get her score report back to see where she went wrong?

I'm not trying to be offensive here -- I certainly don't know your friend, only she can know what is best for her, and I'm not trying to presume to know her abilities -- but you asked for honest advice and criticism. Feel free to disregard what I've said, but I truly think your friend's time might be better spent applying that dedication and drive to a cause in life that really matters.  Taking her passion for doing well on the LSAT and turning it into a passion to provide legal assistant services to Legalaid or some other advocacy organization could not only help her get into law school, but could also make some real change in the world.

Thats funny, because most of us would stop reading YOUR post right after "Not to be rude..."

What a female dog!

PS - This "friend" is so obviously you that its not even funny.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 04:29:56 PM »
Hi,

It's just related to the LSAT ironically. Does she need to get a prescription for a beta blocker?

Does she have trouble comprehending things normally or is it just related to the LSAT? If that's the case, a beta blocker may be helpful since it will stop the physical symptoms of anxiety and may allow her to calm down and focus more.

Yes. I think you can get it in only a few doses because people use it to calm their nerves for public speaking and other performance-related anxiety issues.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »
There was talk around here at one point about a regiment of Ginko Biloba in the weeks/months leading up to the test.  Some people found that they were able to more easily concentrate after regular usage.  Whether or not this is a real improvement, or just a placebo effect doesn't much matter if it makes a difference.

So much of this test is psychological...  it's worth a shot.

Does your "friend" also have problems concentrating on reading in general?  Or on schoolwork?  Or is it unique to this test?

I spent $20 on a bottle but it gives me an instant headache.  I need to find another brand.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 04:44:31 PM »
Yeah, I would never tell anyone to give up on their dreams.  Especially after seeing The Pursuit of happiness yesterday.  Lol.

Not to be rude, but she would stop reading your post right after this sentence- "I respect your friend's tenacity, but..." so I should have pointed out when I started my thread to not waste time w/comments like this.

All of what you have just said has been said to her by many people (family, friends, strangers, etc.,) and she doesn't listen to people like you. No pun intended.

I'm looking for advice on how to help her not advice on how to be negative & tell she can't do it.

Okay, it's obviously up to her.  I'm just adding one more voice to the choir of "move on, already!"  I wish her the best of luck...keep us posted!

haha - telling someone not to take the LSAT four times and work on other ways to get into law school hardly seems like telling someone to give up on a dream.  if her dream is JUST a high LSAT score in itself, for no higher purpose than just the score, that seems problematic, doesn't it?

dcgirl

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
Yup, you got me.  It's me. You're so smart.  Big f-ing Loser.

Hey, are you the former Downy troll incognito with a new name?   

I respect your friend's tenacity, but I think there's got to come a point where she stops taking the test.  LSAC only lets you take three every two years anyway, and if your friend is applying to law school, a load of repeated scores that are mostly the same will hurt her more than help her.  Sure, the scores will disappear after five years, but that's a long time.

This is a really hard test, and I think that everyone has a score-ceiling that they can't break through, as frustrating as it might be.  It might be time to work on accepting that.  There's no shame in letting the score she's got stand after the Feb. test.  Any reason she doesn't just wait until June when she can at least get her score report back to see where she went wrong?

I'm not trying to be offensive here -- I certainly don't know your friend, only she can know what is best for her, and I'm not trying to presume to know her abilities -- but you asked for honest advice and criticism. Feel free to disregard what I've said, but I truly think your friend's time might be better spent applying that dedication and drive to a cause in life that really matters.  Taking her passion for doing well on the LSAT and turning it into a passion to provide legal assistant services to Legalaid or some other advocacy organization could not only help her get into law school, but could also make some real change in the world.

Thats funny, because most of us would stop reading YOUR post right after "Not to be rude..."

What a female dog!

Poops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »

What a female dog!

Splitter, no kidding.... seriously, instead of thanking a girl for taking her time to even consider responding to you stupid topic, you are criticizing her...

I would not doubt that your friend is imaginary

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
No, ma'am... Im just a guy who accepts his fate into a third tier toilet.  Hell, it didn't even take me TWO YEARS to realize this.  You obviously suck at the LSAT so much that you would be best served doing the same.  See you at Cooley, you heinous female dog!

Yup, you got me.  It's me. You're so smart.  Big f-ing Loser.

Hey, are you the former Downy troll incognito with a new name?   

What a female dog!

Ersatz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 01:47:19 AM »
Regardless of whether you are asking for your friend, yourself, etc., it's a simple fact that most everyone has a score ceiling that they can't break. For some people, it's 175; for others, it's 150. It doesn't really matter what suggestions and techniques are offered here - if your friend / you / whoever has not been able to increase their score past X despite many hours of studying, it just might be that this is where she / he / you / etc. are topping out, and additional advice will simply not be helpful. It has nothing to do with tenacity. Make peace with that and move on.

Ignoring the well-meaning advice from many, many people would essentially make her borderline retarded. Look, it's not that we are all in some secret cabal and are uniting our forces and intellects to make your friend get a poor score on the LSAT. The above advice comes from experience. The LSAT is a learnable test, but it's learnable to a point. Be realistic about your friend's abilities, and adjust your goals accordingly. Not everybody's going to get into Harvard.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 02:23:38 AM »
She's been studying for the LSAT for almost 2 years now.
February will mark her 3rd time taking this exam.
She has taken testmasters twice already.
She's taking the exam in Feb & again in June if she has to.

Stop beating the dead horse. After two years, two TM classes, two actual tests, it's time to move on. What has changed? It's an error to think that something is going to change if you take the test enough - nothing will change. It's over; accept the number and move on. LoveButton is right. :o