Law School Discussion

140k in debt graduating from Iowa. Still worth it? Advice needed.

YesICAN

• C-SPAN RULES!
    • View Profile
I really want to attend the University of Iowa, it's my number one choice. I was admitted and I am VERY excited about that fact. But I am not sure if I will get any grants or scholarships with my fairly average numbers there. In all likelihood I will have to pay the entire amount with loans. I am also from out-of-state, so I'll have to pay the higher tuition cost of 29k per year. In total, the three years will cost around 140k. Assuming this happens, is Iowa still worth it? I am not sure what to do right now. In the event that I get a scholarship offer from School B (tier 2, average career prospects - roughly 50k annual salary) and can reduce my debt to 60k coming out, should I reconsider going to Iowa and attend School B? I spent the entire day calculating numbers and feel so anxious right now. If money was not an issue, I would honestly pick Iowa in a heartbeat. I would really appreciate any advice you folks can offer.

Thank you.

Re: 140k in debt graduating from Iowa. Still worth it? Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:36:24 AM »

It depends on how you feel about school B.  Is it a significant drop from Iowa?  Are the job prospects coming out of Iowa going to pay you significantly more than school B?  Also how old you are plays a role in the decision.  But usually in this case I would go with my gut decision and do what will make me happy and satisfied regardless of money.  Do the absolute best you can  and stay focused and the money will come.  Trust me.  Don't believe the hype of these " must get t14 and make tons of caa$$h right away chicken littles.   

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Get residency the 2nd and 3rd years.

I don't think it's that easy, unless you are a research assistant.

http://www.registrar.uiowa.edu/residency/

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
Where do you want to work?  Contact some of the potential firms and ask them about their hiring practices regarding School B and Iowa.