Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Texas check in...  (Read 41004 times)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Texas check in...
« Reply #780 on: May 17, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=hgraves03

???

Elicited a reaction in me

she'll be one of our gunners at smu!
seems like a nice person.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 17, 2007, 12:31:15 PM »
Also, since they are receiving a full scholarship and a stipend, I'm guessing they are the recipient of a Sumners scholarship. It seems to me that the goal of these scholarships is to get people who would ordinarily choose UT to choose SMU instead. Looks like it worked.
W&L Class of 2010

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 17, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=hgraves03

???

Elicited a reaction in me

Why?  Remember, what may be right for you, isn't always right for everyone else.  As long as she's happy with her decision, that's all that should matter.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another way is noting that she eschewed a full ride at UT to go to SMU. I think this would have gotten a more interesting reaction here in the not-so-distant past, considering the protracted UT obsession we saw in this thread. I guess everyone's had time to come back down and settle on destinations. It's a lot more fair and balanced here. But I do think what's right for me is always right for everyone else.

Yes, Tony, it is difficult to put someone else's decision in context...obviously, more so in certain cases.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 17, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 17, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »
I think most people here would have been jealous, but most people that were die-hard UT fans would have been happy to see anyone turn down UT and open up another position. ;)

I assumed that your "reaction" was more along the lines of the many people calling her crazy for turning down higher ranked schools for SMU.

Personally, I'd be flat out jealous of all of the acceptances and scholarships she had. And if I had all of that money and rank flashing at me, I'd be happy that I could pick a school based on factors other than rank and ability to pay off debt. I could pick based on family location, size of the classes, or even colors and mascot!

also,
i'm pretty sure the way it happened was ut didn't offer her a full ride until after she had already accepted the sumners scholarship and attend smu (which comes along with built-in networking contacts from having gone through the interview process).  after accepting the scholarship, ut came back with their offer of a full ride, and i guess she didn't want to flake out on the sumners people and burn any bridges with them. 
i'm glad she'll be at smu with me, and i hope she's the gunner in my section.  she seems like a nice person.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 17, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
also,
i'm pretty sure the way it happened was ut didn't offer her a full ride until after she had already accepted the sumners scholarship and attend smu (which comes along with built-in networking contacts from having gone through the interview process).  after accepting the scholarship, ut came back with their offer of a full ride, and i guess she didn't want to flake out on the sumners people and burn any bridges with them. 
i'm glad she'll be at smu with me, and i hope she's the gunner in my section.  she seems like a nice person.

You say that like there's only going to be one gunner..

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 17, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »
Jer, I remember how many questions you asked the whole time during the SMU ASD. You're definitely gunner numero uno.

(kidding)
W&L Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 17, 2007, 03:55:37 PM »
Jer, I remember how many questions you asked the whole time during the SMU ASD. You're definitely gunner numero uno.

(kidding)

lol,
i left after lunch to go pick up a chocolate lab from the animal shelter
/priorities

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 17, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
also,

You say that like there's only going to be one gunner..

I know for a fact there's at least one more coming from my UG.  (Sorry guys)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 17, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
Maybe it'll seem less so when our nerves are fried right before exams, but right now I think Gunners would be a non-stop comedy source.  The more the better.  Maybe they'll even fight each other.  I'd pay.