Law School Discussion

Univ. of Texas check in...

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: UT check in...
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
still no word from ut

/or smu and uh, but i applied kinda at the last minute for smu ed and not ed for uh....

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 07:09:26 AM »
they still haven't pulled it?
did you apply ed?

sladkaya

• Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
I happen to have some relevant experience. Last cycle, I did the same thing many of you are doing this cycle. I tried to pick apart every LSN profile and every nugget of information about UT. I wondered why UT took 3 months to get me a decision, and I wondered why I got WL'd. In the end, I faced the not-so-secret cold hard truth about law schools. They don't care much about anything except numbers.

Same here, with even more disappointing results, and realization that retaking is the only option.  I suggest that anyone who has free time on their hands to further feed their UT obsession should go back to last year's threads and read the posts of all the UT hopefuls, few of whom got in with less than a 165 LSAT.  164-163s who did get in, had insanely high GPAs and good soft factors (disability, significant athletic achievement, etc.)  Everyone else I remember from last year with LSAT lower than 163 (with or without high GPA) was a URM, judging from LSN and this board.

OK, that's a very depressing post.  Sorry, Donkeys reminded me about my bitter last apps cycle.  To inject some sunshine - in the 2004/05 cycle, there was a guy how got into UT with a 161 and something close to 3.8.  He has worked as a firefighter for close to 20 years before he applied to law school. 

sladkaya

• Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
I happen to have some relevant experience. Last cycle, I did the same thing many of you are doing this cycle. I tried to pick apart every LSN profile and every nugget of information about UT. I wondered why UT took 3 months to get me a decision, and I wondered why I got WL'd. In the end, I faced the not-so-secret cold hard truth about law schools. They don't care much about anything except numbers.

Same here, with even more disappointing results, and realization that retaking is the only option.  I suggest that anyone who has free time on their hands to further feed their UT obsession should go back to last year's threads and read the posts of all the UT hopefuls, few of whom got in with less than a 165 LSAT.  164-163s who did get in, had insanely high GPAs and good soft factors (disability, significant athletic achievement, etc.)  Everyone else I remember from last year with LSAT lower than 163 (with or without high GPA) was a URM, judging from LSN and this board.

OK, that's a very depressing post.  Sorry, Donkeys reminded me about my bitter last apps cycle.  To inject some sunshine - in the 2004/05 cycle, there was a guy how got into UT with a 161 and something close to 3.8.  He has worked as a firefighter for close to 20 years before he applied to law school. 

And this is why I fully expected to be dinged unless I cure cancer between now and then.

And this is why I'm researching bus tickets between Austin and Waco. 

And this is why I'm depressed I may never be in class with some of the most fun applicants UT had the fortune of having.

/and tickets are $16 each way, but the bus station is not convenient to Baylor.  I've done all this last year :(

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »
I saw the bus times; it ain't gonna happen! Looks like I'll get a cute little apartment, or just keep checking into hotel rooms Monday-Thursday!

And even if we all stay in TX, there will be plenty of times to have a get together. Dallas to Austin isn't that far. And if I'm in Waco, y'all can meet in the middle! Heck, we might all even end up at the same firm 4 years from now. Or we might all get in :P. Last year 105 people got in who had stats at or below 3.5/164, so that proves they have room for people like me, jer, and kirkcameronsgirlfriend and 102 other people...only time will tell....

ooh..i want in on this shindig

I will go on record right now that if I'm admitted to UT, I will host an LSD Longhorn BBQ in August at our house. If I'm end up at Baylor, I'll offer up some function, but let me find out where I'm living first! I don't want to promise a giant kegger if I'm living in an Extended Stay America.

it'd still work,
you'd just have to bring your kegerator

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
Did somebody say brisket?

or drive down to lockhart at Krutz's. Mmmm

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
has anyone else been to the salt lick, just outside austin?

i don't eat for a couple days before and after.

/good stuff

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 06:40:49 PM »
but i'll settle for shiner bock

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »
have you tried making sun-tea?

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »
I haven't.. but my grandma does and it's incredible.

um
ask your grandma for her sun-tea recipe
 :D :D :D :D