Law School Discussion

Univ. of Texas check in...

Re: UT check in...
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Don't know if this applies to anyone reading but...........is anyone still waiting for UT to request their report (I submitted around two weeks ago).

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 11:02:44 AM »
Somewhat off topic, my application wont be complete for another week or so (mainly because UT takes its sweet time sending my damn transcripts.  Seems silly that I have to go through this whole process when the law school is a block away).  My #s are a 3.58 with 167.  Being that I'm in state, are my chances for UT pretty good, even this late in the process? I looked up the #s on chiasu or whatever it is called, but I wasn't sure what the effect of being in state was on the chance of acceptance.   

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
Somewhat off topic, my application wont be complete for another week or so (mainly because UT takes its sweet time sending my damn transcripts. Seems silly that I have to go through this whole process when the law school is a block away). My #s are a 3.58 with 167. Being that I'm in state, are my chances for UT pretty good, even this late in the process? I looked up the #s on chiasu or whatever it is called, but I wasn't sure what the effect of being in state was on the chance of acceptance.

being in-state sure helps,
applying earlier would've helped, too.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 11:37:45 AM »
It took 3+ weeks for them to request my report.  I sent an email inquiring about it and got this response, but then they requested it the same day... so I don't know if that's a coincidence or if I had slipped through the cracks:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Texas School of Law.  Many law schools subscribe to a software program that allows for a simultaneous download of your electronic application and LSDAS report. However, UT Law does not use this software; therefore, your LSDAS report will be requested at a later date once your application has been processed. Due to application volume and processing time, it may take from three to four weeks--or longer--for us to process your application. However, once processed, you will receive a confirmation e-mail acknowledging the receipt of your application. Please do not ask LSAC to send a duplicate LSDAS report or re-submit your application. If any required application materials are missing from your application, you will be contacted.  

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I understand your point, and I can certainly sympathize with you. There's a fairly good chance that I'll be Waitlisted or worse with my 165. And I agree that a certain dose of "reality" is good, but not everyone is happiest taking a pessimistic point of view. I think everyone here understands that with a 164 it's a crapshoot and that they may very well be rejected. I've certainly come to terms with that.

But some people would rather be positive about the whole experience. Yes, the odds may not be with you, but there's still a fairly good chance, and that's worth focusing on at this point more than the fact you'll most likely get a negative response.

Anyway, you got a negative reaction to your post because it wasn't just hyperbolic; it was wrong. I don't blame you for it, and I don't blame you for your bitterness. But this is the reason people were "incited"

I'm still bitter, so I'm posting this rant.

Sorry to incite the easily incited with my post. What I meant to do was insert some realism. I'm not surprised a 3.6/164 got WL already. It was common last cycle, and it will be common this cycle. The particulars do not make it interesting or insightful. To save yourself some stress, get used to it and then be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.

I happen to have some relevant experience. Last cycle, I did the same thing many of you are doing this cycle. I tried to pick apart every LSN profile and every nugget of information about UT. I wondered why UT took 3 months to get me a decision, and I wondered why I got WL'd. In the end, I faced the not-so-secret cold hard truth about law schools. They don't care much about anything except numbers. Now, however I express that to you, I'll be sniped. Obviously I'm not looking at the LSAC official guide or every channel of information on the web about UT law these days. But you do know it's true.

A little realism and a lot more planning last year would have helped me avoid the letdown. Congrats to those 320 people out of the 8000 applications (or whatever - I'm sure Boss will correct me) they reviewed. I had to retake the LSAT and wait another year even though I was in-state, URM, non-trad, with numbers that some of you seem to believe would have gotten a non-URM into UT. Anyone of you that gets rejected...just get back on that horse. Study hard, take the June LSAT, and apply early next cycle. My critical mistake was that I didn't plan my admissions cycle until October, when it was already well underway. Waiting a year is not so bad when you end up with what you really want.

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
I'll note that the pdf file shows statistics for the entering class of 2005 (not last cycle) and that [1.00 - (320 admitted/5400 applications)] = 94% = "just about everyone" (my exact words)...and we're done. We're all going to make fine lawyers. Good luck and keep fightin', guys. I hope you get in.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »
Regarding the people who manage to get into UT with a sub-164 LSAT, I can give one example.  I am a UT undergrad applying to law school this cycle.  My current roommate is a student at UT Law and scored under 155 on his LSAT, and if I remember correctly his GPA was 3.7ish, maybe close to 3.8.  However, he had pretty impressive soft factors, including a lot of political work experience.  Moreover, he is a URM who was class president at a historically minority college in Texas.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:39 PM »
I don't think the percentages are really important. What's important is that 320 people in those LSAT ranges did in, which negates the "just about everyone" statement. Saying just about everyone under 165 gets rejected or WLed makes me think that 5 or 10 people were the exceptions, not 320.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
Additionally, the original surprise mentioned in this post was not that someone with those numbers was waitlisted, but that they were waitlisted this early, when the application deadline hasn't even passed, and UT hasn't made decisions on any Early Decision applicants that were deferred yet (according to lsn).

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »
Unrequested here, but it's only been 8 days for me.

Today is UT's first day back from winter break.  Hopefully this means they'll pull a bunch this week.

Dorms opened up today, but the staff has been on campus since the 3rd.