Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I've never been so excited to check the mail  (Read 1145 times)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've never been so excited to check the mail
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
Well, I just got back to my on-campus apartment after 18 days away from it (and my mailbox). First thing I do is go to check the mail - but oh no, the front office is only open on Saturdays from 7PM-9PM (limited winter session hours!).

T-3 hours 30 minutes.....

(it's really horrible that law school applications have turned into this)

Feel free to share other mailbox frustrations/triumphs!
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: I've never been so excited to check the mail
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »
My boyfriend works from 2:30p.m. to 3a.m. on weekends, so we usually go out to get some lunch before he drops me back off at the apartment and heads to work.  The last 2 weeks that this has happened, the mailperson has been present in the building as I stop by the mailboxes, but she's chatting with other tenants and not even remotely sorting the mail.  I've asked if I can just grab my mail, but that elicits an annoyed, "no, you cannot" from her.  I have to go upstairs, estimate how long she's going to chat before sorting the mail, and then head back downstairs only to find nothing of relevance in my mailbox.

Okay, it could be worse, but it's the little things in life that annoy me. ;)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
Last Tuesday, I found myself cursing the memory of Gerald Ford for keeping my mail from me.  What have I become?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
I check my mail every damn day and all i get is freaking junk mail. God give me at least one t-14 acceptance already!

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
Every day I hope to see a letter from Michigan and every day it's not there bleeds away some of my essence.  It's been a week and everything is getting so cold; everything is getting so gray.

Okay, I just thought no one was being melodramatic enough.

I'm usually one of those people whose sense of excitement is muffled until the moment is imminent.  Well, since I don't have a clue when the letters will hit my box, every day seems like it might be The Day.  So the short answer?  Yeah, I've also never been so excited to check the mail. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »
It's snowing like crazy here, but I ran out really fast to check my mail. Big white envelope- excitement! But nooo...not an acceptance...actually just a "please apply, possible scholarship" from Chicago-Kent. No thanks!

that was a pretty well done viewbook though.  I felt kind of bad throwing it in the trash.  Moreso than I did about the postcard I got from Appalachian today that said nothing but "fully approved by the ABA.  Come apply."  ... good for you...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • Doesn't get any better than early 90s tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »
I still have another week until I can check my mail.  Although I compulsively check my email at least 70 times a day, I can't wait to open my mailbox at school and have all of the rejection/acceptance letters and/or packets. 
In: RU-C($), Loyola, Nova, Temple ($$), AU, Emory, WUSTL ($$), NDLS ($$), Wake, Case, GULC (PT), Fordham, Cardozo, Mason (PT)
WL/Def: NU, Duke, UVA, W&L, UVA, BC
Out: UMich, NYU, Boalt, UC-Davis, HLS, UofChicago, Columbia, UWash

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=maybe2007

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »
I'm in a different country and by default, the mail from the US takes 2-3 extra days (compared to domestic US mail). Sometimes it can really be inconsistent, my NYU acceptance being the most glaring case. After running to the mailbox everyday and seeing everyone on LSN accepted for 3 weeks, I resigned myself to a rejection. On Jan. 4th, I finally got the acceptance, the letter dated Dec. 11th.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:34:11 PM »
Whee, got to check mail. In at Cornell and NYU :)

Ha, my NYU packet was mailed Dec 8 - I left school Dec 20 but still didn't have it.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »
Try having a roommate who just got a DUI.

Not only am I getting tons of letters, none of which are for me, but all are from shady lawyers who went to TTT schools. :)

Ugh, speaking of roommates, I live with one and we only have one mailbox key. Despite my NUMEROUS protests and reminders to take only the mail key off her key ring and leave it in the apartment so the first person in the apt at the end of the day can get the mail, she refuses to and takes it with her... so now she's away at her parents WITH THE MAIL KEY while today's mail is in its securely locked mailbox 4 FLOORS DOWN FROM ME. So frustrating...

I'm getting my kicks text-messaging her annoying messages like some controlling father about what time she plans to get back to the apartment - THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN REDUCED TO!  :-[
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF