Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disappointing  (Read 2645 times)

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Disappointing
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:12 PM »
I'm sure many of you have heard plenty of people with this same story, but here goes...
I just recently decided on law school, so I had about a month to study for the LSAT.  I took the Kaplan diagnostic and got a 171.  I came away pretty optimistic, getting my hopes up for something upwards of that.  All the practice tests were at that score or better (and yes, I was completely honest taking them, timed, etc.) I had done all the research on top notch schools, but then when I got my score back, 161.  I was devastated.  Still don't completely understand what caused me to crap the bed, but oh well.
So, I'm picking up the pieces and trying to make a decision on where to go.  My GPA is 3.66 in Engineering and as I said, my LSAT was a 161.  My recommendations are good (in my opinion at least), and the rest of my resume isn't to shabby, but I am a white male. 
My question is this... can I still get in to a really good law school?  I figure I'm in good shape for all my in state schools (I'm from Florida).  I've given up hope at the HYS breed (obviously!), but do I have any chance at a school like UT-Austin?  How about Michigan?  Georgetown?  Or are these just pipe dreams?  Is there any school that has a reputation for taking things like difficulty of UG major or "soft factors" into account more than the norm? 

I would appreciate any input you guys could give me.  I have gleaned so much information from this board and you all have made this process a little less scary.  Thank you all.

BonesMcJones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Disappointing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »
I'm sure many of you have heard plenty of people with this same story, but here goes...
I just recently decided on law school, so I had about a month to study for the LSAT.  I took the Kaplan diagnostic and got a 171.  I came away pretty optimistic, getting my hopes up for something upwards of that.  All the practice tests were at that score or better (and yes, I was completely honest taking them, timed, etc.) I had done all the research on top notch schools, but then when I got my score back, 161.  I was devastated.  Still don't completely understand what caused me to crap the bed, but oh well.
So, I'm picking up the pieces and trying to make a decision on where to go.  My GPA is 3.66 in Engineering and as I said, my LSAT was a 161.  My recommendations are good (in my opinion at least), and the rest of my resume isn't to shabby, but I am a white male. 
My question is this... can I still get in to a really good law school?  I figure I'm in good shape for all my in state schools (I'm from Florida).  I've given up hope at the HYS breed (obviously!), but do I have any chance at a school like UT-Austin?  How about Michigan?  Georgetown?  Or are these just pipe dreams?  Is there any school that has a reputation for taking things like difficulty of UG major or "soft factors" into account more than the norm? 

I would appreciate any input you guys could give me.  I have gleaned so much information from this board and you all have made this process a little less scary.  Thank you all.

T14's our out of the picture.  So is UT-Texas.  The only semi-shot you have now is GULC Part-time, and even then its very slim.

If you have the option, consider taking a year off, putting in much more study time, retaking the test in June and applying next fall.  Just something to think about.  I retook and scored 4 points higher which doesnt seem like much but brought me from being competitive at BC/BU to being competitive at Mich/Duke/Cornell/UCLA and Texas.  I think it was definitely worth it.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:53:58 PM »
Another option is to go get your free ride at a T3 school, make just as much money and be just as happy. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

stephygator

• I don't use the word "hero" very often...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:34:52 AM »
Where did you go to UG? You should just go to UF. It's a good school and if you're paying in-state tuition, you're getting a great deal.
William and Mary 2010

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:44:56 AM »
Another option is to go get your free ride at a T3 school, make just as much money and be just as happy. 

Except most people from T3 schools do not make just as much money as those from top ones.
Penn Law '09

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 01:45:58 AM »

Except most people from T3 schools do not make just as much money as those from top ones.

Sucks for them
Yale.Law.School.2010

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:01:13 AM »
yeah man.  you "just decided" on law school.  Sometimes there are people here who say "this has been my life's dream, I have no other plan, etc." and it is hard to tell them to take a year or two.  But for people who aren't happy with their current situation that is THE answer.  Take a year, work on your LSAT (most take the higher score now), save some money, etc.  You know that you can compete at some top schools ... so be true to yourself and take the time that seems to be necessary to get that one stupid test score up to the level that those schools want.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 05:33:18 AM »

I'm kinda in the same boat, though my situation is not as extreme. Lsat few weeks before the test I was scoring in the high 160s, low 170s. Ended up with a 163. Good GPA, good recs, also resume not too shabby. Not engineering major (which is by all accounts strenuous), but a double major with honors. Also, never thought I'd score that low (though, with time, I've come accept my LSAT score. Could've been worse).

Now for the advice. If you can & want, take a year off and then retake. If you must apply this cycle, I'm affraid you'll have to settle for a somewhat inferior school, at least when it comes to ranking. With a 161, I would say T14 and UT are out. You should still try your luck, but realistically, it's probably not gonna happen. If you have a good PS, I think you stand a decent shot over the 18 mark. So schools like Minnesota, W&L, Iowa, Emory, and BU are your best bet.

But, then again, what do I know?!

Best of luck!
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses thus far!

I don't really have an option to take a year off... I have to have medical insurance and I'll be dropped from my parents' plan if I am not a full time student.  The only option would be to somehow extend my undergrad (by adding a minor or something to that extent) so I was still a full time student.

My previous thinking had been if I couldn't get into one of the schools we have talked about thus far, that the extra money spent over UF wouldn't really be worth it.  Of course I would like a degree that travels well, and I know any of the T14 will do this, but does an Iowa degree travel considerably better than a UF degree?  At the bargain basement cost of Florida's in state public schools, can I justify going elsewhere if the school is only marginally better?

And one final question, would it be worth explaining this situation in one of the "standardized test performance" addenda, like UT-Austin has?  Or would this just seem like a desperation move?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses thus far!

I don't really have an option to take a year off... I have to have medical insurance and I'll be dropped from my parents' plan if I am not a full time student.  The only option would be to somehow extend my undergrad (by adding a minor or something to that extent) so I was still a full time student.

My previous thinking had been if I couldn't get into one of the schools we have talked about thus far, that the extra money spent over UF wouldn't really be worth it.  Of course I would like a degree that travels well, and I know any of the T14 will do this, but does an Iowa degree travel considerably better than a UF degree?  At the bargain basement cost of Florida's in state public schools, can I justify going elsewhere if the school is only marginally better?

And one final question, would it be worth explaining this situation in one of the "standardized test performance" addenda, like UT-Austin has?  Or would this just seem like a desperation move?

1.  If you must remain a student you can always get an MA to keep that status.

2.  There are jobs with medical insurance?  I have been told that even starbucks offers insurance to employees that work over 20 hours

3.  I don't know alot about the protability of a UF degree.  Iowa is an odd case ... it is more regional than alot of similarly-ranked schools.  It will get you some great jobs in the mid-west though.  And UF will do the same in Florida.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...