Law School Discussion

"low grading UG"

"low grading UG"
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
If your undergrad institution in known for being a 'low grading school' (average GPA much lower than at the bulk of other schools) will law schools take this into account?  I've heard people say that law schools add .2 or .3 to my particular UG's GPA.  Any thoughts/knowledge about this?

Re: "low grading UG"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
I doubt they recalculate gpa's for index numbers, they might consider it as a soft factor.  http://gradeinflation.com/  this website has a lot of schools average gpa's, the undergrads at the lawschool I go to assure me they have grade deflation, yet their average as of 2003 was 3.18.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
LSAC takes into account the grade distribution of your undergrad institution and calculates something based on its average distribution. I'm not sure how much of an affect this has, or how much you can expect, but I probably wouldn't count on it being particularly helpful to your official GPA.

parsley

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
Look at your report on LSAC that goes to your law schools.

There's an LSDAS GPA.  (That's what is on LSN too.) 

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
Look at your report on LSAC that goes to your law schools.

There's an LSDAS GPA.  (That's what is on LSN too.) 

Is this the same as 'academic summary report?'  I was wondering how people got that GPA- how do you find it on LSAC?

marlinspike

• Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:32:43 AM »
The law schools that know your school well will consider it like a soft factor. The schools that don't know your school well won't care. It sucks, but that's life (from a fellow student at a school with low grades). Oh, and I see no LSDAS GPA on my school reports.

Oh, I see what people are talking about with the LSDAS GPA. It's not like it's a weighted GPA or anything though, it's just calculated with A- and B+ meaning different things than they mean at some schools.