Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do people want to go to Vault top 10 firms so much?  (Read 7437 times)

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why do people want to go to Vault top 10 firms so much?
« on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:52 PM »
I'm curious why is there so much fuss about those firms, when there are a lot of other firms that pay pretty much the same (give or take 10 K). What's the big deal about those firms? Do they have some great bonuses i'm not aware of?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people want to go to Vault top 10 firms so much?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »
I'm curious why is there so much fuss about those firms, when there are a lot of other firms that pay pretty much the same (give or take 10 K). What's the big deal about those firms? Do they have some great bonuses i'm not aware of?

Wachtell gives (or at least did until recently) 100% bonuses.

That said, I'm not a fiend for the v10.  I want a QOL firm, bc when I have kids, I want to be able to actually see them  ;D :D
Columbia 3L

SBToLaw

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »
WLRK's bonus this year was actually 100% or more, if one added together their mid year bonuses and end of year bonuses.

You can't count them though, compensation wise, they're above and beyond every other V10 in that regard.

My guess (beyond $) would be firm prestige . . . it makes easier to lateral into other firms/careers with V10 resume candy.

TITCR.  Prestige and exit options are the likely top 2 reasons.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »
ping
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:06:44 PM »
Portability is important. V10s move more easily laterally, and into coveted public-service positions (DOJ, USAO) and in-house counsel offices.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
WLRK's bonus this year was actually 100% or more, if one added together their mid year bonuses and end of year bonuses.

You can't count them though, compensation wise, they're above and beyond every other V10 in that regard.

My guess (beyond $) would be firm prestige . . . it makes easier to lateral into other firms/careers with V10 resume candy.

TITCR.  Prestige and exit options are the likely top 2 reasons.

prestijiosity is the number 1 reason
Yale.Law.School.2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »
By better exit options you mean V10 have better clients who might be able to give you a better job when you leave?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
By better exit options you mean V10 have better clients who might be able to give you a better job when you leave?

eh, its more that when they see skadden on your resume they know you have had high pressue experice at a top firm.  even if you haen't worked for the business before they will know you have done work for top clients in the past and so long as you weren't fired you will be seen as a coveted lawyer.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

h2xblive

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »

So some associate makes $150,000 or so per year, then makes another $150,00 on top of that in bonuses?

:o

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
This might be a really stupid question but how come the salaries have gone down so much in the last couple of years...about 100k at the top it seems?
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!