Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do people want to go to Vault top 10 firms so much?  (Read 7468 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people want to go to Vault top 10 firms so much?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »
Well, some of it will stay the same... but it is getting much bigger and some of it is bound to change. The NY office is 3 times the size it was last year.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 10:40:07 PM »
Lifestyle firms are a myth. Even 200 fewer billables in a year is a 4 hour a week difference - not really that much. The bonuses are the same in every firm but Wachtell so thats not why people go. The term V10 is kind of an arbitrary one. A top firm looks good on a resume, probably has interesting work, those are reasons to go there. But V10 isn't really the big deal. Some firms outside of the V10 are amazing at one thing, (paul weiss, Quinn Emmanuel) and are worth going to above a V10 if you prefer it.

I'm all about Quinn Emanuel if I ever do biglaw.

not as lifestyle as they advertise, but a great SF firm.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 10:47:50 PM »
Lifestyle firms are a myth. Even 200 fewer billables in a year is a 4 hour a week difference - not really that much. The bonuses are the same in every firm but Wachtell so thats not why people go. The term V10 is kind of an arbitrary one. A top firm looks good on a resume, probably has interesting work, those are reasons to go there. But V10 isn't really the big deal. Some firms outside of the V10 are amazing at one thing, (paul weiss, Quinn Emmanuel) and are worth going to above a V10 if you prefer it.

I'm "all about" going wherever "London Bound" goes.   ;)
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

No firm founded by a bunch of cravath people is any kind of lifestyle firm

But they are LA not San Fran.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 10:37:04 AM »

who's LA and not SF?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 10:42:13 AM »

I'm interested not so much in their lifestyle (which is still better than other biglaw firms, and given some of their partners came from Cravath, it probably shows they hated the Cravath lifestyle and are rebelling against it, rather than emulating it).

I'm more interested in the work they do (business litigation, emphasis on litigation).  Their main focus is on trial work, not on motions or getting continuances just to suck the other side dry.  I like that. 

Also, I'm interested in their NY office, not any of their West Coast offices.
Yale.Law.School.2010

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »

who's LA and not SF?

quinn. They have a SF office, but they are an LA firm