Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: writing sample after deferral???  (Read 583 times)

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
writing sample after deferral???
« on: January 04, 2007, 04:06:25 PM »
Having been deferred at three schools (so far), I'd like to up my chances by sending in supplemental material.  I've already sent one excellent PS and four LORs, so I'd rather not send more of the same.  One school said they would accept writing samples. 

I'm thinking of sending in a paper I wrote a few years ago.  I've re-edited it and it's now 6 pages (including bibliography).  It's not my absolute best work, but it's probably the best sample of my work under 10 pages and I feel like the shorter it is, the more likely they are to actually read it. The paper is an ethical analysis of a historical issue, but not too controversial.     

Do you think that there is any way that sending in a quality writing sample could hurt me?   I'd like to send it even to the schools that didn't specifically request more material,  in order to show that I'm still interested.   I don't mind sending it in if it doesn't make a difference or could help a little, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.  Is there any way that sending in an unrequested 6 page writing sample could annoy an admissions committee and hurt my chances?   

Please send comments, thoughts? 

BonesMcJones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: writing sample after deferral???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
6 pages is probably too long.

yeacrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
Is 6 really that long? At least grad schools usually ask for about 10 pages.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
6 pages is probably too long.

Send in the six pages and they can read as much of it as they like. 
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
Wow, I'm glad I saw this thread.  I've been mulling over Penn's invitation to send a writing sample, and if 6 pages is too long, I'm in big trouble.  I'm a history major and haven't written anything shorter than about 15 pages in years.  Hmm...

Edit:  I have to get used to being a graduate and not just a major.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »
Is there anything more you can send them about yourself, like a diversity statement or update of what you're doing?  I think 6 pages is too long and they already have your PS and LSAT as writing samples...I think they would prefer to hear more about you...
University of Toledo 0L

yeacrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »
They should hear pkenty about you thru your PS and maybe diversity statement imo. i think academic writing is your chance to show them something diff.

applicant499

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »
are folks deferred at GULC sending additional info, or listening to statement in deferral letter that they "do not require any additional info at this time..."

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
Is there anything more you can send them about yourself, like a diversity statement or update of what you're doing?  I think 6 pages is too long and they already have your PS and LSAT as writing samples...I think they would prefer to hear more about you...

I'm having trouble writing a diversity statement.  I think my PS about why I want to go to law school covered a lot of the unique things that I've done in my life in a positive way.  I'm finding all my drafts of diversity statements turn into a rant about my childhood, community, high schools, etc.  It is true that I've had to overcome certain things and that there were obstacles in my path, but compared to others, I know that I've had it easy.  Also, no matter what the truth is about my background, I'd rather not play the sympathy card. And as I said, all of the positive things were already pointed out in my original PS, so expounding more on that could be redundant.   

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
I don't think a diversity statement has to be about obstacles or something you've overcome.  I wrote a diversity statement and I didn't mention my race, or anything about my life that was "bad."
University of Toledo 0L