Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England School of Law, Suffolk, or Northeastern?  (Read 11061 times)

d3s

• View Profile
    • Email
New England School of Law, Suffolk, or Northeastern?
« on: February 28, 2004, 02:57:03 PM »
I am planning to attend one of these three law schools in the fall and would appreciate any help reviewing their reputations.  One factor that will "complicate" the decision is that I've received a full scholarship to NESL.  I understand that leaving law school with almost no debt is a rare opportunity, but I don't want to sacrifice my ability to become employed for temporary debt relief.  Is there a large enough difference in reputation to warrant me spending almost $30k/year on my legal education or should I take the free ride and work my arse off to find a good job?  Thanks for any help!

abmarz

• View Profile
Re: New England School of Law, Suffolk, or Northeastern?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 11:57:46 PM »
Depends...what kind of law do you want to go into? I live in Boston now and might be attending Suffolk in the fall...

d3s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:21:24 PM »
I haven't made any decisions about where I want to end up doing, but so far working for the SEC, local DA, and IP law have all seemed like interesting options.  My question, however, is more about the overall reputation of the schools when I am viewed by the outside job market.  Will I hurt my chances of employment by taking a free ride at NESL?  If so, is the damage severe enough that it's worth acquiring 3 years worth of debt?

jbshane

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 07:59:35 PM »
If you want to work in Boston, any of those law schools will work for you, although Northeastern seems to have an amazing web of connections within the city.

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 12:39:39 AM »
Reputation wise, Northeastern is the best, then followed closely behind by Suffolk and then NESL.Graduating from Northeastern or Suffolk will definitely help you get a better job. NESL's placements are mainly in Boston, whereas Suffolk and Northeastern branch out a bit more. Also, Northeastern works on co-op. It's a great program and allows you to earn really good money while in law school. I'm pretty sure Northeastern doesn't give actual grades, so keep that in mind too.

Pburgh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 05:00:04 PM »
d3s,

I agree with everyone else.  If you stay in Boston, NESL might be the right choice.  If you want to practice outside of the Boston area, Northeastern and Suffolf have more influence and give you a better shot at jobs. 

As far as IP law goes, I know Northeastern and Suffolk both have very good programs.  I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but your options are limited in IP law if you don't have a technical UG degree.  You're required to take a seperate Patent Bar exam that requires a technical degree.  So if you have one great, but if you don't you might want to reconsider IP law.  Good luck with the decision.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 02:17:56 PM »
I have had a little exposure to a people from Suffolk.  I had an e-mail conversation with someone at their admin office.  they were polite and quick to respond.  I have also communicated with some students.  All seem like nice people.

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 11:01:53 AM »
Norhteastern and Suffolk seem to be comparable. I got into suffolk (10 thousand dollar scholarship) and am still waiting on Northeastern.

evan123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 11:37:48 AM »
hey weezyramo what were are your scores if you don't mind me asking. i am waiting to hear from suffolk myself and i didn't know that they had sent out letters. just trying to see what my chances are thought i don't think they are looking too good. 154/3.3

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 11:40:45 AM »
got to northeastern - its a nice campus, great gym, good people.