Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England School of Law, Suffolk, or Northeastern?  (Read 11059 times)

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New England School of Law, Suffolk, or Northeastern?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 09:51:23 PM »
hi d3s,
ironically, I was in your position last summer. I was offered a full-ride at NESL, 10K yr. at Northeastern, and I was on the priority WL at BC till late august. BC got overenrolled, so about August 12th or so they let me know that they wouldn't be able to offer me a spot.
So that put me kind of where you are now. I didn't apply to Suffolk, and so it was NESL with the full-ride or 10K a year a NU.
I took the bait, and I am at NESL. I am applying to transfer, since that was always the plan (to transfer after my first year) but I am totally in a different place (state of mind) than i was last year. I am only applying to the top 5 schools in the country for the area of law i want to practice and otherwise i will remain at NESL. People are right when they say it is mainly a boston school, however there are plenty of exceptions-- and people from NESL are practicing outside of boston as well. As for in boston, it is my opinion that the "ranking" is like this
Harvard
BC/BU
Northeastern (though not a much above)
NESL/Suffolk

I love my professors, and I respect the school a lot more than i thought i would. As long as i stay in the top 25% i keep all my money, and right now i am in the top 8-10% of my class. anyway, it is a decision only you can make. a lot of people questioned my decision-- including me for a while-- but it was the right one for me and though i would like to attend those top schools that i am applying to, i can HONESTLY say that i will not be upset at all to stay at NESL for the long haul.

feel free to e-mail me personally if you would like to ask me anything specific.

;)

beantownbear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 09:44:57 AM »
I would disagree with some of the earlier posters who state that the differences between Northeastern, Suffolk and NESL are negligible.  I have worked as a paralegal for the past few years and I have close family members at two of the top firms in town.  My impression is that, from the perspective of the Boston legal community, Northeastern far surpasses Suffolk and NESL in reputation. Their co-op program is an incredible asset and allows the school to be more competitive than similarly ranked USNWR programs.  At the two firms where I've worked, NESL graduates were not even considered when the firms were hiring new associates and Suffolk grads were regarded with some hesitation.  I would encourage you to search the Martindale-Hubbell attorney directory--I believe you will find that, at the larger firms in town (Hale & Dorr, Ropes & Gray, Goodwin Procter, Testa, etc), there are a small number of Suffolk grads and probably no NESL grads.  Suffolk IS well-known for the fact that their day and night programs are utilized by a large number of associates going into patent law, so if you have a science degree and would consider patent, then Suffolk might be a good choice.  However, if you don't know what type of law you want to practice and you want the largest number of oppotunities available to you upon graduation, I would recommend Northeastern. 

Keep in mind that the Boston legal market is incredibly saturated--you have six law schools in the area and many students hope to remain in Boston upon graduation.  The past few years have witnessed the demise of some of the most established firms in town and even the larger firms have been cutting down on the number of new associate hires.  Hopefully this will have  improved by the time that you and I graduate, but it should be a consideration in your decision-making process.

Ultimately, this is just my opinion.  I would certainly encourage you to contact the earlier poster about his/her experience at NESL. There may even be a few Northeastern students on this board who would like to offer their two cents.

Best of luck with your decision--keep us updated!

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 10:13:11 AM »
I agree with most of the postings so far, except one thing. I think there is there is a very strong distinction between NEU, Suffolk, and NESL. Northeastern is above Suffolk and Suffolk is definitely above NESL. I have been working at legal offices in Boston for the last 2 years and every lawyer I work with agrees with this. Northeastern grads get better jobs than people who go to Suffolk and NESL. However, Suffolk is a great school. It's in an awesome location and the building is absolutely gorgeous. I work for the assistant attorney general in Boston who also teaches night classes at Suffolk law  and he said the Suffolk Law library is the most beaufiful law school library he's been in. This is a lot coming from a guy who went to Harvard undergrad AND Harvard Law. Bottom line -- if you got into all three schools, I would go to Northeastern. However, if Suffolk offered you considerably more $$ than NEU, go there. I would never choose NESL over the other two.

Also, do you know what kind of law you want to practice? Look specifically at the clinics at each school. Suffolk has some great clinics in family law/ child advocacy. NEU's tend to be more geared towards other things.

I'm almost positive NEU doesn't give out actual letter grades but instead does handwritten evaluations for each student. If you are the kind of person who can handle that sort of grading, go for it.

Good luck and email me if you have any questions!

weezyramo

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 11:37:33 AM »
My numbers: 156, 3.64 comp eng.

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 02:19:55 AM »
One thing to consider- your internships at NE will make up for some scholarships.

My one experience- My landlord was a NESL graduate, and we took him to small claims basically to get out of our rental agreement.  We signed it, agreed to it, and really had just found a better apartment.  Though I have no experience in the law, we won.  I basically out argued him, and he had all the legal ground to stand on.  He was so bumbling and unable to form a coherent argument I was amazed.

That can't be a good sign!

jhport12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004, 09:53:07 PM »
If you want to stay in New England, NESL w/full scholarship is the way to go.  You have no idea what coming out of law school with no debt will do for you psychologically and emotionally.  If you like IP, then Suffolk is the way to go, they have a great program.