Law School Discussion

Miss P

• View Profile
Re: When did red. delete?
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
I think if I knew anything about anthropology (or sociology or whatever the relevant field might be), LSD would be interesting from that sort of perspective.

The mistakes about LSDers thread was fun in that regard.  I don't really understand why everyone cares so much about the gender (especially) and race and appearance of the various characters here.  Of course, maybe this is because I'm the type of person who enjoys hiding behind Mr. Met.

rojo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 07:46:01 PM »
i just read your sig.  haha

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »
To expand:

She intrigues me (partly) because she seems to care more about helping people and doing something significant than collecting a paycheck and/or doing trivial legal work. She seems genuine in this regard.

I have that same naive desire, and that same aversion to bland corporate work (of most sorts). I blame it on some childish existential ennui that I can't shake still at 25, and will probably never shake.

Oh well.

It usually has to do with never having been poor.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »
To expand:

She intrigues me (partly) because she seems to care more about helping people and doing something significant than collecting a paycheck and/or doing trivial legal work. She seems genuine in this regard.

I have that same naive desire, and that same aversion to bland corporate work (of most sorts). I blame it on some childish existential ennui that I can't shake still at 25, and will probably never shake.

Oh well.

False. Usually it can have something very much to do with having little or no wealth.

Lily Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 08:19:12 PM »
To expand:

Oh well.

False. Usually it has something very much to do with having little or no wealth.

I'm not so sure.  If you've been poor in the past -- particularly during a critical period in your personality development -- you'll continue seeking wealth long after you're wealthy.  Why do you think immigrants rarely pack it up after the first million (or 50) to do something more interesting?

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »
Wait, red deleted?  Why?  :'(

Lily Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »

LSD's feminists apparently made her question her decision to go to law school.  Or something like that; we're all a little confused. 

Lily Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »
To expand:

Oh well.

False. Usually it has something very much to do with having little or no wealth.

I'm not so sure.  If you've been poor in the past -- particularly during a critical period in your personality development -- you'll continue seeking wealth long after you're wealthy.  Why do you think immigrants rarely pack it up after the first million (or 50) to do something more interesting?

I hardly think you can make some sort of behavioral generalization about this. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but that you're wrong in how often it (poor people chasing the bucks when they can) happens.

But that's not what I'm saying.  What I am saying is that the vast majority of well-educated, idealistic do-gooder types who actually wind up working for idealistic do-gooder organizations have never been poor. 

My question about immigrants was an attempt to illustrate the limits of your explanation.  It doesn't need to happen a lot; it just needs to happen.

If nothing else, I'm an example (so far). My parents never made more than 50,000 combined in a year. I don't know if that constitutes poor or not, though. For what it's worth.

The definition of "poor" I had in mind was wondering what you're going to eat for dinner because you literally don't have any food in your house and less than $1 to your name. 

I thought 50k was middle class.  Which by law school standards probably is poor. :-\

I care more about either having free time, or having my time occupied doing something meaningful. If I can't figure out the latter, I'll pursue the former, but it has nothing to do with wealth accumulation for the sake of wealth accumulation.

So do I and others concerned about wealth building.  The difference is, I have a "stability" in the equation.  Wealth --> stability --> free time +/^ meaningful time.

annab

• I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

LSD's feminists apparently made her question her decision to go to law school.  Or something like that; we're all a little confused. 

I'm confused too.  Confused and sad.  :-\

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2007, 08:47:36 PM »
To expand:

Oh well.

I hardly think you can make some sort of behavioral generalization about this. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but that you're wrong in how often it (poor people chasing the bucks when they can) happens.

But that's not what I'm saying.  What I am saying is that the vast majority of well-educated, idealistic do-gooder types who actually wind up working for idealistic do-gooder organizations have never been poor. 

My question about immigrants was an attempt to illustrate the limits of your explanation.  It doesn't need to happen a lot; it just needs to happen.

Wait. So "vast majority" corresponds with "[not needing] to happen a lot; it just needs to happen"?

I suppose I'm still confused at what you're saying. I do think I am clear on what you're trying to say, though, and I still disagree (partly).

Experiential differences, I suppose.

If nothing else, I'm an example (so far). My parents never made more than 50,000 combined in a year. I don't know if that constitutes poor or not, though. For what it's worth.

The definition of "poor" I had in mind was wondering what you're going to eat for dinner because you literally don't have any food in your house and less than $1 to your name.

Colour me wealthy, then.

Again, I wonder just where this analysis of wealth comes from, on your part (and for what purpose)?