Law School Discussion

How personal should your personal statement be?

How personal should your personal statement be?
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
As a non-traditional (read - very old) potential law student, I wrote and submitted a personal statement with my applications last year.  I wasn't offered a spot at either of schools I applied too (scarey low LSAT), I'm retaking the test and will be applying to the same two schools again for Fall 2007.  Should I change my personal statement?  Do I need to get new letters of recommendation?  Also my personal statement was about my son's disabilties and what he and I have done to overcome them, is that too personal?

I know applying to only two schools is very limiting, but I'm a single mother who needs the support of her family while attending school.

Re: How personal should your personal statement be?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »
I don't think you necessarily need a new PS. It's doubtful that this is what kept you out. Since you're only applying to two schools, you might consider tailoring the PS a little bit for each school.

For the LORs, I really don't know what their "shelf life" is. I'd call admissions at each school with this question. You're surely not the only repeat applicant they have.