Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vermont Law School  (Read 1424 times)

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
Re: Vermont Law School
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:30:54 PM »
My really good friend is a 1L at this school. Make no mistake, South Royalton is very tiny. My friend is from Northern California and applied there for the Environmental Law program.

Although the townies are... there, he constantly tells me he loves it there. But he's very happy to be in law school alone, so I'm not sure how much of it is enthusiasm and how much is genuine love for South Royalton.

Now for the REAL important information: There's only 1 bar there. But they have Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, Magic Hat, and some other good stuff. Also the small town makes the law student romance thing sort of more complicated/high-schooly.

You know, important information.

vt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »
I live about an hour and a half from South Royalton and am going to VLS next year...

So if you have any questions re: the area ask away... Questions about the school would probably be better answered by someone who knows more than me, but I have read a lot about the place, and if I don't know what I'm talking about I'll just make up something that sounds believable...

I think my fiancÚ and I are probably about 85% set on going to VLS, so it's good to know that there are others from LSD that plan to attend. We're a little nervous about such a big move (we're coming from Seattle), but the adventure is half the fun! Since I got waitlisted at Seattle U, and Gonzaga is a bit too conservative for me, VLS sounds like a place where we could be content and studious.

We just bought plane tickets for the April 2nd open house- do you plan on attending that?

Yeah... I don't know yet... I'll probably RSVP for it, but it'll depend on what else I have going on that day... I'm 100% attending, so I'd really be going to gawk and eat some free food... If it's a rainy day and I don't have other plans, then I'll be there...

As far as the COL goes... I think they're erring on the side of generosity... I mean, you could certainly get by for less than 16k, but you wouldn't be leaving yourself much room... It's been a while since I could comment on a budget for a single person in VT, but if you figure that you could spend an easy $500 per month on housing, you're already eating up a good chunk of it there...

Oh, and a warning about the April 2 open house... I don't know why they picked the beginning of April to try to lure in students because it is often the UGLIEST time of year in VT... The snow is melting, everything is wet and muddy, there's no vegitation yet... Just sticks, dirty melting snow, and mud... I assure you that 90% of the time VT is beautiful... The end of March and beginning of April, known as mud season, is kind of unrepresentative of how things really are around here....

fraggle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:32:18 PM »
I seriously considered Vermont Law.  It's true that South Royalton is in the middle of nowhere but Burlington is awesome.  They have numerous bars and GREAT restaurants. ( Yum -- Magic Hat & Switchback)  Montpelier is pretty cool too -- they do not have any chain stores, only independently owned businesses.  Plus, you are in driving distance to Dartmouth.

Vermonters are way friendly.  And although the living expenses are kind of high in Vermont, a lot of times, heating is included in the rent.  Additionally, there are a lot of people who would be willing to rent to you.

Vermont may be regional but they have a great environmental law program.  The state government has made environmental concerns a priority and many state and local goverment entities are fairly progressive.  Beware of the idyllic life that you will be entering into...it really is like a little fairyland of happiness.

btw -- if you ski, they have great rates for vermont residents and for students.  Student season passes can be as low as $200.

vt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
Vermont is seriously the nicest, most pleasant place I've ever been.

I doubt I could handle their winters, otherwise I'd live there in a heartbeat.

I'm telling you... You buy some skis and a season pass somewhere and winter becomes a lot more bearable... I'm already kind of bummed that it'll all be ending in a month or so...

mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
Anyone know how Vermont places for environmental jobs in Boston? Does the joint J.D./M.S.E.L. (Master of Studies in Environmental Law) compare well to students coming out of BC (for example) who studied a more general J.D. curriculum but want to work in environmental law?

Thanks.

mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »
cviggy,

Thanks for the great link. I bookmarked it.

I think Vermont has an underrated program. Plus its specialty is an area that will only loom larger over almost every facet of life during the next 20 years. Americans as a whole are only growing more environmentally conscious from land use issues to pollution.

Cheers.