Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bama v. Kentucky?  (Read 461 times)

barenakedtjm

Bama v. Kentucky?
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:30:11 AM »
Hey guys, glad to have found this board.  It appears to be a valuable resource.

I am beginning my decision process right now.  I am a 163/3.30 applicant (Pacific Islander, I'd imagine that's helping me ons ome levels) from South Carolina.

Anyway, so far I've gotten into Richmond, Miami, Kentucky, and Alabama.  Richmond's phone call told me I wouldn't know until March, but mentioned something about the outlook being favorable that I'd get full tuition.  I only applied there as a backup, and without a full ride I doubt I'd consider it too far.  Miami was just an app I sent in because they gave me a fee waiver -- I have little interest in living in Miami for any period of time.

I am liking Kentucky a lot, and Alabama is probably my favorite (although I'm still waiting on Emory, George Mason, and Vandy to let me know).  I'm assuming I won't get in at those, so for now I think it's either Bama or Kentucky.  I did receive a $10k scholarship from Kentucky (and $23k from Miami), which makes it considerably cheaper than Bama.  However, that scholarship is only available to me as an out-of-state applicant so I lose it if I acquire in-state status for my 2L and 3L years, a process which I understand is pretty much automatic if I keep an apartment at school.  That means that 2L and 3L, the costs would be basically equal.

I know Bama is ranked a bit higher, maybe even considerably higher (which is fueling my lean to Bama), and I haven't visited either campus yet so I can't claim a personal attachment to either Tuscaloosa or Lexington just yet.  Does anyone else have any input?  Sorry for the long post!

BILL82

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bama v. Kentucky?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:34:19 AM »
My friend goes to KY. He loves it, says you can get a good job if in top 20% of class.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:43:12 AM »
i wouldn't count vandy out just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if your pacific islander ethnicity helps you out there.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:46:47 PM »
i wouldn't count vandy out just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if your pacific islander ethnicity helps you out there.
Hm, that would certainly be exciting, although I'd graduate with a pretty significant amount of debt.

CDX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »
Hey --

I really would have to advocate 'Bama.  I've heard plenty of great things from students and (naturally) the staff, but its a quality program and their Dean seems like a great guy.  They are really open with there students from all indications, and plus having Saban would be a plus in the old football category.

CDX

Clara Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »
My sister in law lives in Tuscaloosa (she teaches at U of A, but not the law school) and, from my visits to her, I've noticed that the city sucks.  Seriously.  There's a laundromat in the mall.  Birmingham is okay, and it's a reasonable drive from Tuscaloosa.  I admit that I don't know anything about their law school, so it might make up for the serious crappiness of the town.

My husband lived in Lexington for two years and LOVED the city.  I think he would move back there if given the opportunity.  He has compared Lexington to Tuscaloosa several times and says that Lexington has a much better and younger atmosphere.  I don't know anything about their law school, either.

Obviously, this is all subjective.  I just know that it would take a lot of money to entice me to live in Tuscaloosa.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
I go to Clemson now and I love it, so small towns are not a problem for me.  In fact, I kind of prefer them.  All I need to be happy is a Wal-Mart, a couple of bars, and a football season.  I love college towns.  I do have little doubt, however, that Lexington is a better city than Tuscaloosa, especially in the future when I'm a young professional.

I want to lean toward Alabama because of their ranking and the fact that their school in general has a tradition I'd love to be a part of, but Kentucky is a great place too.  This decision process is just so difficult.

Clara Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:29:51 PM »
If you love football season, then you'd definitely enjoy Tuscaloosa.  I was there on a game day  once and it was INSANE (in a good way for football fans)!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

barenakedtjm

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Thanks!  Right now I'm practically hoping that I don't get in at either Vandy or Emory, because I don't know how I could pass up the opportunity to get a degree from either of those -- and I'm still waiting on George Mason.  At this point I'm thinking Bama.