Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 3368 times)

random*

• View Profile
« on: January 03, 2007, 10:41:37 PM »

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
Re: Are Canadian applicants 'international' in US admissions?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:15:48 AM »
This is something of a gut feeling, but I think Canadians are sort of counted in their own category. There's probably a quota on how many Canadians they will take just like there's a quota on how many people from California or how many Economics majors. Whether that helps or hurts your application chances probably entirely depends on the other Canadian applicants for that year. You'll be compared against them.
CLS 2010!

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »
I've never heard that anywhere. Gut feelings are good only to assess whether you've got intestinal parasites. Canadian students are international; just pick up any brochure that describes class composition. Several will give you the country of origin of their international students. Canada is invariably there.
Penn (2007)

teamcanada

• View Profile
    • Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
I've never heard that anywhere. Gut feelings are good only to assess whether you've got intestinal parasites. Canadian students are international; just pick up any brochure that describes class composition. Several will give you the country of origin of their international students. Canada is invariably there.

ok well lets say canadian applicants are international applicants. are you considered a canadian applicant if you are a US resident but went to a Canadian undergrad?

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
I never said Canadian students aren't counted in the international category. However, that being said, I don't think all international students are considered equal. In pursuing their  goal of assembling a diverse class, law schools probably want variety in their international applicants. If a school takes 20 international students out of a pool of 50 canadians, 10 brits, 15 people from asia and 5 from africa, then--all else being equal--you probably have a lower chance to get in as a Canadian applicant than if you are a British applicant.

As far as a US resident with an undergrad at a Canadian university, you're probably going to be in the same pool as other US residents. You'll also probably be at a slight disadvantage since Admissions officers probably know less about the quality of your undergraduate university.

I think the more interesting question is whether it helps or hurts your chances to be an international applicant in general. I think this one entirely depends on how many international students each school aims for each year, and the ratio of international to US applicants it recieves. Since I don't think that kind of data is published anywhere, we're pretty much left guessing. If you want an informal idea, try looking at LSN and figuring out the average numbers for US and International applicants admitted at the university you're interested in last year.
CLS 2010!

teamcanada

• View Profile
    • Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »

As far as a US resident with an undergrad at a Canadian university, you're probably going to be in the same pool as other US residents. You'll also probably be at a slight disadvantage since Admissions officers probably know less about the quality of your undergraduate university.

I think the more interesting question is whether it helps or hurts your chances to be an international applicant in general. 

i don't know if i totally agree with the idea i'll be at a slight disadvantage. there aren't many canadian schools admissions officers in the US know about but there are probably 3 that many, if not most, do (McGill and U of Toronto for sure) and its a pretty good reputation i would have to assume. since i go to one of those schools i think it nullifies any potential disadvantage. but i could also be completely wrong.

i do agree that it is an interesting question whether or not applying as an international applicant helps or hurts. it def. hurts you at state schools with residential quotas but i have no idea about others.

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 01:26:09 PM »
Yes, if you went to U of T or McGill, you're probably good. Not quite as good as you'd be had you gone to an Ivy League, but it certainly won't count against you.

On the other hand, there's plenty of good universities in Canada that have almost no international recognition at all.
CLS 2010!

teamcanada

• View Profile
    • Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 01:33:50 PM »
Yes, if you went to U of T or McGill, you're probably good. Not quite as good as you'd be had you gone to an Ivy League, but it certainly won't count against you.

On the other hand, there's plenty of good universities in Canada that have almost no international recognition at all.

completely agree

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »
if ur a URM (which i think u r) u got points there! and numbers are everything (which yours are great) so dont worry.. u should get a clean sweep!!!

i dont think being a canadian helps, or disadvantages u in any way!! again, its all about the numbers! however, if u had a low GPA but a great LSAT score, they would then prob look at the school u went to and perhaps overlook it

again, u got a great lsat and a great gpa.. so dont complain!(just chillax) u will get into ur t14!!

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
If you're not an American, than you're international.  Now, I have no idea if schools have international quotas or limits.

Probably the better thing to worry about will be if you can finance your education.  Most international applicants run into problems with this because they're not eligible for federal aid.  So, you run the risk of potentially being yeild protected because a school doesn't think you can pay for school.  However, I have seen international applicants get into schools and then address the funding issues later.

And if you are an American citizen going to UG outside of the US, you're still an American....albeit a stupid American for asking, but American nonetheless.

What you asked is equivalent to: I'm a white girl who went to a HBCU.  Am I a minority because I spent 4 years around minorities?
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*