Law School Discussion

i still havent applied

i still havent applied
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »
im a dumbass i know.  letters of rec are just taking forever to get in.

i'm thinking it shouldn't make a huge difference bc my scores are the major median score for the places i want to go (WVU, SIUC, NIU, etc) but is there some big time things i should def keep in mind since it's so late?

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
Re: i still havent applied
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
The biggest thing I'd keep in mind is the freakin' calendar.  If your numbers (and I believe I've seen them--very good) are competitive, I'm hoping what you mean is that you just haven't put the postage on the completed packets...or pressed "send" yet.  If not, just breathe and get to work.  The worst that will happen is you will miss the early decision deadlines, which generally are binding.  Now all your apps will be pooled with the "general population", but if your credentials can pull you to just one "Accepted", that's going to be all you need.  I know some people, and hooray for them, are having a tough time deciding which acceptance to accept.  I know nobody who is attending two schools at once.  Remember, you just need one.  The rest is all about rubbing elbows if you don't get your number one pick.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I submitted my apps before my LORs were in.  It might be a good idea just to make sure it is done and that your file goes out as soon as your LORs come in (actually without LORs it will still go out and then the letters will go as soon as they come in, for the most part)

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
If that last one didn't take, I'll use my handy English to English translator--SEND THEM IN NOW!!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
mine aren't in either. I'm supposed to be writing my PS right now. I have 3 intros and 2 full ones done. Eek. I'm planning on sending everything monday.  I figure law school admins will be back in the office when law school profs and students are back so we have a few days anyway. Is your PS done etc? Maybe we can swap and edit?

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:45:33 PM »
Reading this board freaks me out because mine aren't done, either.  (I haven't written a diversity statement and still can't think of something to write for one, and every school is getting the same PS.)  Andy Robert's got a point, though -- you just need one, so long as you're willing to go everywhere you apply. 

I'm taking comfort in the fact that the schools I'm most interested in for personal and geographic reasons are pretty decent bets with my numbers, even late in the cycle.  Sure, it'd be great to go to UC Berkeley or U of VA, but I'd be perfectly content to go to Boston College (and absolutely thrilled to go if I got a scholarship :) )

And even though a lot of people on this board are already accepted, thousands of people apply in January.

Just do it now.  Which is advice I'm trying very, very hard to follow.

andyroberts

• Amy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:49:31 PM »
It's okay.  I still have one hanging out there that needs a Dean's Certificate finished before I send it.  I ran through the app. cycle last year, and I started in mid-Jan.  It feels a lot better now, although I wasn't in early application range.