Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Requesting a waiver of parental information  (Read 422 times)

etaylor10

• View Profile
    • Email
Requesting a waiver of parental information
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
Obviously, a number of schools require the Need Access form.  Boston U, however, allows you to request a waiver of parental information.  It says a request, in writing, can be submitted to the head of financial aid and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.  Has anyone tried to waive their parental information, and how did it go?  For anyone who hasn't, do you think this is a good idea?

My dad isn't planning on contributing to my law education, but his income should pretty well rule out any need-based financial aid.  So it seems worthwhile for me to at least make an attempt at waiving his information.

etaylor10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Requesting a waiver of parental information
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
I e-mailed Michigan and they went with the estranged angle.  They said you'd have to write something that explained that you basically have no contact with your parents or it's dangerous to contact them.

Mine has less to do with feeling uncomfortable as much as it has to do with the logistics of my undergraduate funding.  I have no educational loans coming out of undergrad, but there are certainly special circumstances as to why.  And all of those special circumstances have changed heading toward law school.

I suppose it's worth a shot.  Michigan basically said not to even try, though.