Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Waitlist, Anyone?  (Read 6147 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn Waitlist, Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »
Really? I have no recollection of that...either way, I definitely find you to be one of the more articulate, insightful posters around here. Definitely sorry if I've ever offended you. I have a friend or two at BLS...I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm probably confused.  I don't know too many on-topic posters all that well.  :D  But thank you for the undeserved props.  It's nice to make your acquaintance.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Brooklyn just sent me a letter entitled "candid advice" which basically suggested that if I retook the LSAT, I might have a better shot at admission because of my good GPA and ECs. I basically read that as, take the LSAT and up your score to even have a chance, period. Needless to say, I registered for the Feb. 10th test as a result of that letter. Damn, I thought I was done breaking out my practice tests and timer. :-D
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »
How long after you went complete did they send that?

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
I was unaware of the Dean's Certification until yesterday (incredibly stupid, I know), so my application isn't even complete yet. They told me they'll review it when my new LSAT score comes in. Should I take the letter as a preliminary waitlist?
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »
I was unaware of the Dean's Certification until yesterday (incredibly stupid, I know), so my application isn't even complete yet. They told me they'll review it when my new LSAT score comes in. Should I take the letter as a preliminary waitlist?

UMMMMMMMMM.............

no.

Why would you take that as a waitlist indication?  The admissions committee does not receive and begin reviewing your file until it is complete; thus, without the Dean's Cer., they won't review it.  In regards to the LSAT score: if you tell them that you are taking a subsequent administration, they will incorporate that score into their evaluation.

But best of luck to you; I'm on that unfortunate waitlist (and I have a STRONG premonition only PT is coming; Rutgers-N it is.)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:55:07 AM »
Iceslip, I understand your resistance to going part time; I would probably have made the mistake of turning down part-time admission myself.  But if Brooklyn is a top choice for you, I urge you to consider it.  The part-time day program is totally integrated with the full-time program.  The only difference is that you take one fewer class (which you can make up over the summer or as an upperclassperson).  In fact, a handful of people in the part-time program chose it to have an easier transition into law school -- and they lucked out, at least in my section, as they avoided what's sure to be our toughest first-year class.  Almost everyone from part-time day has the opportunity to transfer into the full-time program at the end of first semester. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement; as you mentioned, you understand the motivation for wanting to directly place into a FT program.  However, despite the fact that Brooklyn is my first choice, I do not believe that it provides SIGNIFICANTLY better opportunity than Rutgers-Newark for what I am looking for.  Honestly, I am equally open to NYC or NJ and really anticipate taking both bars if I don't get OCI direct offers, summer associate etc.  Of course I want BigLaw opportunity as with many people, but I also 100% plan to live in NJ once I graduate, so I am finding more and more appeal in working in a mid-size to smaller firm in NJ, even with a lower pay (plus side being the lifestyle/hours, obviously).  From my understanding, Rutgers-Newark is phenomenal at placing at solid firms in NJ for the top ~25th-30th portion of the class.  This is more than great for me.

While Brook. is clearly the better overall school, I don't think it is significantly better to the point of it compensating for turning down FT at Rutgers in hopes of transfering from PT-FT at Brooklyn.

NOW...If Fordham gives me PT haha then a different story...but that ain't happening.

no name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »
Bringing this topic from the dead.

I'm waiting on Brooklyn (fingers crossed).

I was just wondering...  They sent me two booklets and applications to apply to their Business Law and PI Law and I was wondering, do they send it out to all applicants?

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 10:18:09 PM »
Bringing this topic from the dead.

I'm waiting on Brooklyn (fingers crossed).

I was just wondering...  They sent me two booklets and applications to apply to their Business Law and PI Law and I was wondering, do they send it out to all applicants?

Haha yeah, I got that stuff too, along with other stuff encouraging me to apply for certain grants, fellowships, etc. and the whole time I'm thinking, "Well SURE if you let me in, I'll GLADLY apply to these things..." haha.  I got waitlisted on Cardozo as well, but by the looks of it, the chances there might be more encouraging (if only due to the fact they don't rank the wait list like Brooklyn, nor make a note of explaining that they will offer almost exclusively PT admission to a certain set of waitlisters i.e., Brooklyn's "Secondary List"). 

At this rate, it's looking as Seton Hall, but I don't mind much anyway because I plan on living in NJ regardless of where and what I do, and I guess the lack of the NJ-Transit commute to NYC may offer its own advantages. 

Any thoughts out there on potential merit of choosing St. John's over Seton Hall or Rutgers-Newark?  It seems like it may give you some better chance in NYC, but honestly if one is also interested in pursuing a career in NJ, Seton and RU-N are far superior.

horgc01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »
Funny I got the same couple of packages, I was sure it was my acceptance.  It is cruel to send a medium sized thick envelope to someone waiting to get an acceptance letter.
Low GPA, middle LSAT, but as soft as a pillow