Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strange email from Harvard - anyone else get one?  (Read 1208 times)

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
Strange email from Harvard - anyone else get one?
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm 167 LSAT and 3.75 LSDAS GPA, non URM.

Althought I've applied to a number of T14 schools, I didn't bother applying to Harvard since I figured I don't have a shot in hell. 

Then, today, I get this email:

The Law School Admissions Council has informed me that you may be considering law school this year.  I invite you to take a closer look at HLS and the unparalleled opportunities that are available in our legal "metropolis."

Harvard Law School is a dynamic, vibrant, and energetic place to study the law.  HLS is home to the world's most intellectually interesting and diverse law faculty, leading an incredible array of courses, seminars, and reading groups, which cover every major substantive area of legal study.  Our size is our greatest strength.  For example, Harvard Law School offers approximately 250 courses (100 with enrollments of fewer than 25 students), 500+ clinical placements, and over 100 student organizations ranging from the Scales of Justice (our a cappella group) to the prestigious Harvard Law Review.

In addition, Harvard's focus on public service and international legal studies means that our students are part of the world and having an impact on its many communities.

Admission remains highly competitive at Harvard Law School, but each application receives individual consideration by our team of faculty members and admissions officers.  We believe that a student body with a wide range of experiences, interests, and backgrounds helps to create the best teaching and learning environment imaginable.  While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply.  Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard!

Please visit Harvard Law School online at www.law.harvard.edu to explore the extensive resources and opportunities available to J.D. students, or follow the links below for more information on specific topics that interest you.

Sincerely,

Toby W. Stock
Assistant Dean for Admissions

Has anyone else gotten an email like this?  Are they just trying to up their applications, or does this mean I may have an actual chance?  Are they just after my application fee, as most solicitation emails will waive the fee, and this one does not? 

Please send me your thoughts, I don't want to flush my $100 application fee down the toilet, but if I seriously have a chance at Harvard, then I'll apply.  (I should probably mention that I have a ton of soft factors, work experience, foreign travel/languages, etc. - but they couldn't have known that just from my LSDAS numbers).

Kencade

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self tar up only for ASW purposes
    • View Profile
Re: Strange email from Harvard - anyone else get one?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
I got the e/m too and I am attributing it to them wanting more applications to keep their acceptance rate down, but even saying that, I would apply if I felt I would go if accepted.  Harvard isn't an option for me for geographical reasons but if you would want to attend Harvard its definitely worth the shot, especially if you have unique soft factors.  You never know...

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »
I have a 163/3.79 and I got it also...

coffeelovin25

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »
Yup, I got that too.  I was really weirded out by it.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »
Also got it.

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
No offense to anyone, but this smells like a scam - unless you're a URM or have published two books, I don't think anyone under 168 has a chance.  Thanks for all the feedback;  I'll keep my money in my pocket - Boston is too cold anyway (sour grapes). 

lmh15

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:41:55 PM »
im 166/3.9 and i got it.

and i say again, i love that they call it the Harvard "metropolis"  ;D
"World Cup" (accepted): Notre Dame, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago
"Eliminated": (rejected)
"Qualifying Round" (waitlist)
"Off season": (applied) UChicago, UIUC, Kent

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:01:57 PM »
It's not a scam at all.  It's Harvard's way of making sure their acceptance rate stays low.

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:20:05 PM »
that's a scam in my book

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
For those saying/thinking they sent this out to everyone... they did not send it to me.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison