Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Torn Up about Texas  (Read 2990 times)

BonesMcJones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Torn Up about Texas
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
If you were older and married this would be a tougher question but you are young - go to Texas.  Do something new for a little while.  You will regret it otherwise. 

fmlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • i'm so cool...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:51:52 AM »
hey, i know how u are feeling with the whole moving and boyfriend thing. But you know your boyfriend has lots of options in Austin. Alot of great companies have presence in Austin. And McCombs business school is highly regarded across the nation. I am recently married but luckly my husband is a software enginneer and his company has offices in every major city. Also, he is able to telecommute, so he gave me a green light to anywhere in the country.
But it is totally understandable to put someone else in the picture as well.. but i agree with other posters, law school and distance can strain even the best relationships. I think he should consider moving down to austin. i'm a texan now living in DC and i'm hoping to go back to Texas! expecially austin. Its an awesome diverse city with great people, great sites and fun places, and best of all a wonderful school that will prepare you with an excellent education!

Best of Luck!
admitted: IU-B ($$), UIUC, SMU
waitlisted:
denied: G-Town
still waiting: Boalt,UT, Vandy, UCLA, George Mason,UVA, Duke,
Northwestern

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=fmlaw

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate. You want to work in NYC. Go to Fordham, kick butt and either transfer up to NYC/Columbia or stick it out.

Once you're past freshman year of college, long-distance relationships are a waste of time. Do you really expect your relationship to last 3 years with you in Texas and him up north?

Good luck with your decision. If you want to stay in NYC, go to school there.
Vanderbilt 2010

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
Tag

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »
hey, i know how u are feeling with the whole moving and boyfriend thing. But you know your boyfriend has lots of options in Austin. Alot of great companies have presence in Austin. And McCombs business school is highly regarded across the nation. I am recently married but luckly my husband is a software enginneer and his company has offices in every major city. Also, he is able to telecommute, so he gave me a green light to anywhere in the country.
But it is totally understandable to put someone else in the picture as well.. but i agree with other posters, law school and distance can strain even the best relationships. I think he should consider moving down to austin. i'm a texan now living in DC and i'm hoping to go back to Texas! expecially austin. Its an awesome diverse city with great people, great sites and fun places, and best of all a wonderful school that will prepare you with an excellent education!

Best of Luck!

Amen.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

Hm.  I don't mean to be out of turn, but if he were indeed THE guy, wouldn't you want to be making life-changing decisions together based on each other's interests? 

No, It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.  But I've lived in New York too long and all of my girlfriends think we're nuts for still being together, let alone letting it *gasp* affect which law school I go to.  A conversation yesterday "I mean, well, what if you find someone you like better at law school?"

Right.

I'm understandably confused.  My parents aren't a decent source of advice either because I think they are a little p*ssed that we aren't at least engaged and we cohabitate.  And Boyfriend himself doesn't want me to make a choice I regret and then he has to hear about for the rest of his life "I went to X school for you and I HATED it."

All in all... I'm a confused panda.

Word to the wise..Don't base your decisions on what your girlfriends or family think. 

"I don't want you to resent me for xx or yy, blah blah blah"  That is something that people that are too concerned with themselves say.  My opinion is that to make a 3 year relationship last over such a great distance, you need more than just the idea of commitment.  You have to be willing to sacrifice, and for people that are really commited mentally for the long-run, sacrifice is something that you want to do for your partner, it is never something to be resented.  I think that is just some garbage that people say on TV, it doesn't have any real meaning.  I have been married for 3 years, did long-distance for 2 while engaged (150 miles long-distance), and believe me it was very hard.  I would think long and hard about what you really want before you 2 make any decisions.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »
You should go to Texas. It's too great of an opportunity to pass up. Things with your b/f will fall into place if it's meant to be.

UncleLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. The difference is that my gf is pretty open to the idea of getting off the east coast. We've both been in Boston since 2000......long time. And I grew up around here, only leaving for 4 years of college down in Maryland. She's interested in doing law school at some point, maybe within 3 years, and so I'm thinking, "should I go Longhorns or would that cramp her style career-wise?" Another advantage of the DC area is that there are other law schools; Chicago too. If I went there, even though I'm less enamored with these places and have caught the Austin bug, she'd have more opportunities, at least theoretically. Just no an easy decision.

Vivian: I don't want to rock the boat of true love if this is your boat, but I strongly advise not confining your options because of a recalcitrant bf. I dated a gal for 5 years a while back; young love. Things look different down the road. I'm agreeing with others on this thread that if you really are into UT, especially after having visited it, go Longhorns. He'll react one way or another. It's not like you're taking him to the moon.
"Method actors give you a photograph. Real actors give you an oil painting." --Charles Laughton

In: BU, GWU, Emory, UTEX
Deferred: Boalt, UPenn, Northwestern
Out: UChicago, Yale, GULC

166/3.83

dmactoto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »
you should at least come visit austin. especially in feb/mar/april when its gorgeous

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
you should at least come visit austin. especially in feb/mar/april when its gorgeous

Hell, it was gorgeous today!  High of 70 tomorrow; meanwhile there's a daytime high of 21 in my hometown in PA.  I love the north, but you can't beat a Texan winter.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*