Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Torn Up about Texas  (Read 2997 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Torn Up about Texas
« on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
So, I'm a Yankee born and bred.  I've lived in NYC for the past 6 years.  And I'm in at Fordham, Texas and Vandy.

My boyfriend/partner (of the live-in, permanent variety) is in NYC.  Our families are in Philly and Boston.  Everyone says Fordham is the smart choice if I want to work in NYC...

So why o why is UT Austin looking so good?

What are everyone's thoughts?  Can UT Austin win a Yankee's heart?  Is it worth going to UT if it means 3 years away from my bf?  Is the area that awesome that we'd both fall in love with it and become Texans?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Torn Up about Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »
I'm really not sure where I want to end up.  We both really like NYC.  We're committed to staying together.  But we're also committed to not shortchanging our careers in the short run - ie if being long distance for three years is whats best for our family in the long run, its what we'll do.

I'm 23, we have no children, no plans for children, and no pets.. yet.

My boss went to UT and LOVED it, but also noted that if youre not at the top of your class, it can be hard to leave Texas.  And that it is hard to know whether you'll be at the top of your class, having never taken a law school class before.

That said, Texas is just SO different from anything I've done up until now, it just seems so interesting.  The clinics seem great.  Having an awesome football team would be great.  Warm warm weather would be great.

It's so weird, because I definitely applied to UT on a whim.  I had been watching one of those HGTV shows about homes in different cities, and Austin seemed like such a wonderful place to be, and UT is such an excellent school, I figured it was worth the application fee to see what happened.

And now... I'm really leaning towards it.  It seems like it could be the ideal place.. challenging yet not soul crushing.. great weather ( I LOVE summer, but hate summer in NYC)...  so, I am one very torn girl.

Note:  Boyfriend has agreed to come to Austin and check it out.  One of our really good college friends is hoping to move back to Austin in a year (he's from there).  Boyfriend likes tech stuff and also loves to play guitar.  If I get into NYU this will likely all be a moot point.  But given the choice between Fordham and Texas...  I'm much more drawn to Texas.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
The thing I like most about Austin is that there seem to be so many different types of people in a very small area (as opposed to Dallas or Houston).  There is the more conservative, yuppy suburban culture.  There are the UT students.  There are the Austin weirdos, etc.  And they all seem to get along well together and can often be seen doing the same things--First thursday, Town Lake, Austin City Limits, 6th street, concerts.   
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »
I think I'm also a little worried because though we've been together for 5 years, we haven't done long-term, long-distance ever and I'm worried that it will really hurt our relationship/make me really sad and unhappy.

But I also don't want to make my life-changing decisions based on some guy... even if he is (I think) THE guy.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
I think law school is a great way to get out and explore the world for 3 years.  From that perspective, if you end up facing the Fordham/UTexas choice, I'd definitely encourage you to check out a different area of the country.  I see a lot of people who go to law school in the same place they've spent the rest of their lives, and that really seems like a wasted opportunity to me.  That's just my opinion though.

Also, is there any particular reason your bf couldn't relocate to Austin?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »

Aside from just not wanting to- no not right now.  But he does want to go to B-School.  And he does like his job now.  And he wouldn't want to move if it isn't a step up.

I don't know. This whole thing is just so confusing, I have no idea where I should go... I haven't heard from all of my schools yet, so we'll see... maybe something crazy will happen and then I won't have to make this choice, but a different one.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »

Aside from just not wanting to- no not right now.  But he does want to go to B-School.  And he does like his job now.  And he wouldn't want to move if it isn't a step up.

What type of work does your bf do?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »
finance

hgolightly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
Go to UT!! Austin is so much fun, I've heard from friends at UT Law that it's tons of fun (insofar as law school is fun), and I don't think you need to be overly concerned about not finding a job after going to the No. 16 law school in the country... even if it's not as common to go to NYC, friends who have gone there have told me that tons of firms recruit there. Plus it seems its reputation is only going up in legal circles. In fact, a friend of mine was recently strongly encouraged to apply to UT Law by her UG thesis adviser, who went to HLS himself and is now teaching at Penn Law.

I don't think that Fordham's NYC placement stats outweigh the many benefits of Texas or the difference in rank... of course, I realize you also have the boyfriend issue to consider, but all in all I would say go to Texas.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:44:07 AM »

Hm.  I don't mean to be out of turn, but if he were indeed THE guy, wouldn't you want to be making life-changing decisions together based on each other's interests? 

No, It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.  But I've lived in New York too long and all of my girlfriends think we're nuts for still being together, let alone letting it *gasp* affect which law school I go to.  A conversation yesterday "I mean, well, what if you find someone you like better at law school?"

Right.

I'm understandably confused.  My parents aren't a decent source of advice either because I think they are a little p*ssed that we aren't at least engaged and we cohabitate.  And Boyfriend himself doesn't want me to make a choice I regret and then he has to hear about for the rest of his life "I went to X school for you and I HATED it."

All in all... I'm a confused panda.