Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer before senior year--LSAT or ?  (Read 953 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Summer before senior year--LSAT or ?
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »
I have tons of stuff I want to do and experiment with in Summer 07, but I keep hearing from friends who have gone through stuff already that they wish they had spent more time studying for the LSAT in the summer before their senior year (to take the September LSAT).

So--if it's between a 170-180 score and internships/fellowships this summer, what is the smart thing to do for applying to law schools?

I'd much rather spend the summer doing things that interest me...

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Summer before senior year--LSAT or ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
I have tons of stuff I want to do and experiment with in Summer 07, but I keep hearing from friends who have gone through stuff already that they wish they had spent more time studying for the LSAT in the summer before their senior year (to take the September LSAT).

So--if it's between a 170-180 score and internships/fellowships this summer, what is the smart thing to do for applying to law schools?

I'd much rather spend the summer doing things that interest me...

both?
I don't see why not.  I guess in that situation what gets sacrificed is hanging out with friends having regular summer fun at night after the internships/fellowships.  But really you should not have to pick between those two.

EDIT: Sorry, I intended to make fun of your "experiment" line too ... I guess I got sidetracked because the mail came ... nothing good :-\
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
Take the LSAT in June, focus on your PS and recs when you get back to school in the fall and enjoy fall semester of your senior year.  You'll be able to focus on finishing your apps early and have more free time. 

You can handle both.  You have about 5 months till test day; if you budget your time well I'm pretty sure you'll be more than prepared in June.

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:25:56 AM »
I prepped for the LSAT the Spring of my Junior year, took the LSAT in June, and did an eight week internship over the summer. It is definitely do-able. And regardless of your internship, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have some downtime to dedicate to either LSAT prep or application stuff. I mean, most are 9-5 (and those that aren't usually leave you weekends open.)

My senior year has definitely been a lot smoother because of it..

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »
Yeah do both. Think about it this way, in college you come "home" from "work" and you do your homework right? Well, now there's no more homework so spend that time prepping for the LSAT instead.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

attic4fp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »
I agree with everyone that you should be able to do both.  I worked a 9-6 internship this summer with a very long commute and I still had time to study for the LSAT after work and take the June LSAT.  You should have more than enough time to take June or September if you start studying now.

That said, if you really feel like you have to choose, the LSAT is so much more important than one summer internship.  Most top schools will be much more interested in a 173 and a boring summer than a 168 and an interesting one, in my opinion.  Don't sacrifice your highest possible LSAT score for anything.

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 11:12:27 AM »
That said, if you really feel like you have to choose, the LSAT is so much more important than one summer internship.  Most top schools will be much more interested in a 173 and a boring summer than a 168 and an interesting one, in my opinion.  Don't sacrifice your highest possible LSAT score for anything.

This can't be emphasized enough. There aren't many feasible experiences that would make up for even 1 point on the LSAT, unless you're scoring in the mid-170s already.
NYU 2010

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »
OP, is there anything keeping you from taking the June test? It's got a few advantages over September in my opinion (it's not competing with multiple courses, it's in the afternoon, you can retake and still get apps in early, etc.)
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

Reach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
Test prep doesn't have to be long and drawn out (as others said).  I handled mine in the four weeks between the end of my spring semester in mid May and the LSAT on June 12 and did reasonably well on the test.  There's no reason you can't do both an internship and the LSAT (as others said). 

I also agree that a sterling LSAT score trumps an internship in all but a very few examples, and even for those few things to matter, you'd still need a good LSAT. 

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
Buy the Powerscore Bibles today, start reading them now, take the June test. Bah-LEEVE me.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.